Does everyone here believe in burn in?
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 48
If the physical burn-in doesn't exist, your ears still have to get used to a headphone so psychological burn-in occurs. I've just learned to accept that over time I will enjoy a headphone more (to an extent).

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 48
I'm a believer, but some headphones change more than others with burn-in, and it's not as significant as most make it out to be

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:
If the physical burn-in doesn't exist, your ears still have to get used to a headphone so psychological burn-in occurs. I've just learned to accept that over time I will enjoy a headphone more (to an extent).

while it pains me to admit it, this is just about what i believe. id like to make a broad statement saying burn in is a fairytale and that its just a load of nonsense. but to be entirely honest, when i got my dtx 101s, i was appalled by their lack of bass. yet, i persisted, and gave them a good fair chance, and just the other day, i caught myself admiring how bassy they are!

i doubt very much any physical burn in effects occur, but "psychological burn in", i.e, getting used to your new headphones sound signature, i have found can make a difference. 

all of this is all entirely in my very humble opinion. of course.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 48
Some burn in inevitably exists. It's just common sense. 

With dynamic drivers, you have moving parts built out of properties and materials that change under different conditions. 

With amps and DACS, less so. It's possible you can have some settling of electronic components as current is applied to them. 

Cables? That's just silly in my opinion. I do believe a better cable can make a slight difference. If you're making more space available for the current to run, the better the result. The material used results in impedance changes. Though slight. 

But burn in on cables? Seems ridiculous to me. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Does everyone here believe in burn in?

No, everybody here does not believe in burn-in.

Does burn-in exist? is altogether another question.

Quote:
No I dont believe in it. If something does happen, its just people getting used to their headphones

This totally negates the effect of headphone operation and component ageing just on someone's belief to the contrary.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:
LOL

That's some fantastic doublespeak.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Thank you, I was hoping someone would catch that.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 48
I've always been a skeptic this way, but I did hear it for myself with my JVC HA-S500 headphones.  But I do not believe that solid state electronics or cables are affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back