does DIY save money?
Sep 23, 2005 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
hi, folks, I was wondering for doing DIY audio, does it save money when compare to commercial rigs? When we spend $200 on parts for a headphone amp(parts only), and we used schemetics designed by other DIY gurus, how is the sound compare to commercial $200 headphone amp? what about $200 DAC parts?
The only thing I can think of that is pretty much guaranteed to save money is DIY cable, because it's extremely easy, just need soldering iron and solder, wire stripper, all parts are easy to get. And nobody can possibly fail on this, as long as you can solder.
What about AMP, DAC, PSU? Does DIY save money for your DIY guru folks and for new DIYers that can only take the advantage of "full kit" or provided PCB and lack of designing ability?

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 54
So far, it isn't saving me money. I think with most hobbies like this, you do it for love, not money.

I once thought I could build my own airplane and that it would save me a lot of money. A wise person asked me at the time if I was a builder or a pilot. I responded naively that I thought I could be both. He said that would be impossible, and that I would just be frustrated as both a builder and a pilot.

In the end, after several years, I came to agree with him. Whenever I was building, I wanted to be flying. Whenever I was flying, I was guilty that I wasn't using the time to build.

So you should ask yourself something similar: are you a builder or a listener? In the case of this hobby, you can be both (and at the same time!), but if you are just seeking a way to get cheap components, and don't love building electronics, then you should probably just save up your money and buy what you want.

(Just my two cents...)

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck94022
So far, it isn't saving me money. I think with most hobbies like this, you do it for love, not money.

I once thought I could build my own airplane and that it would save me a lot of money. A wise person asked me at the time if I was a builder or a pilot. I responded naively that I thought I could be both. He said that would be impossible, and that I would just be frustrated as both a builder and a pilot.

In the end, after several years, I came to agree with him. Whenever I was building, I wanted to be flying. Whenever I was flying, I was guilty that I wasn't using the time to build.

So you should ask yourself something similar: are you a builder or a listener? In the case of this hobby, you can be both (and at the same time!), but if you are just seeking a way to get cheap components, and don't love building electronics, then you should probably just save up your money and buy what you want.

(Just my two cents...)

I 100% agree with you.

Sep 23, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
hi, folks, I was wondering for doing DIY audio, does it save money when compare to commercial rigs? When we spend $200 on parts for a headphone amp(parts only), and we used schemetics designed by other DIY gurus, how is the sound compare to commercial $200 headphone amp? what about $200 DAC parts?
The only thing I can think of that is pretty much guaranteed to save money is DIY cable, because it's extremely easy, just need soldering iron and solder, wire stripper, all parts are easy to get. And nobody can possibly fail on this, as long as you can solder.
What about AMP, DAC, PSU? Does DIY save money for your DIY guru folks and for new DIYers that can only take the advantage of "full kit" or provided PCB and lack of designing ability?

A $200 headamp should compare nicely to $400-$500 commercial amps.

Having said this I must add that DYI is not saving money. This why:
* To build a decent $200 amp, you will need $100-$200 of tools. It could be even much worse than that depending on what you are building.
* When you have built one amp, you will be building a new amp soon, or preamp, or something else. You cannot stop. It is an addiction.
* When you progress with DYI, you start understanding how things work and you start spending money on something you could never imagine before. For example, buying a $200 multimeter is not a completely crazy idea after a few months of DYI.

Think twice before you take this road. This is an expensive hobby.
cool.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck94022

(Just my two cents...)

Yes, I want to be both. I love to listen to music and also like to build. I love to assemble anything that is assembleable (my spelling correct?
etysmile.gif
)
I am not asking if I use cheap components I could save money comparing to commercial units. But if I use those online guys designed PCB say White Noise AMP, MWP's Audio DAC-3, M³ amplifier, and use their provided parts list, I assume they usually recommend audio grade part list, will the equal SQ product's parts total value be cheaper than commercial unit? Or will the equal value of parts assembly sound better than commercial units?

confused.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf
A $200 headamp should compare nicely to $400-$500 commercial amps.

Having said this I must add that DYI is not saving money. This why:
* To build a decent $200 amp, you will need $100-$200 of tools. It could be even much worse than that depending on what you are building.
* When you have built one amp, you will be building a new amp soon, or preamp, or something else. You cannot stop. It is an addiction.
* When you progress with DYI, you start understanding how things work and you start spending money on something you could never imagine before. For example, buying a $200 multimeter is not a completely crazy idea after a few months of DYI.

Think twice before you take this road. This is an expensive hobby.
cool.gif

Thank you for your suggestion Alf, I think I am already addicted, I didn't do too much audio DIY before but I used to do a lot of wood and metal work and I just love to make and assemble those parts.
etysmile.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
Yes, I want to be both. I love to listen to music and also like to build. I love to assemble anything that is assembleable (my spelling correct?
etysmile.gif
)
I am not asking if I use cheap components I could save money comparing to commercial units. But if I use those online guys designed PCB say White Noise AMP, MWP's Audio DAC-3, M³ amplifier, and use their provided parts list, I assume they usually recommend audio grade part list, will the equal SQ product's parts total value be cheaper than commercial unit? Or will the equal value of parts assembly sound better than commercial units?

confused.gif

From a cost perspective, depending on the particular company's volume, it will probably be cheaper to buy rather than build, but this is really a question with answers all over the map. Also, unless you have really low self esteem, "cost" needs to factor in your time to some degree.

From a quality of sound perspective, if you are using identical components, it probably then becomes first a comparison of your construction skill versus the manufacturing skill of the commercial product vendor; second a case of your sensitivity to your work (ie, it sounds better because it came from my onw hands); third, your ability to tweak. I think the second is the first most significant on a general basis, and the third will have a major impact if you can optimize for your set of components (sources, headphones, etc.), your music, and your ears.

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 54
the reasons i got into diy audio, wasnt (mainly) for cost, but more out of conveinence. i could get the sound i want (or dont want), make it look pretty, and have the satisfaction of making it.

i havent even finished making my own first cmoy, but i still stand by all my opionions lol.

Sep 24, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 54
yes if what you are seeking is something not normally available,certain features you personally feel are essential to your personal enjoyment level.
the option would be a custom build by someone up to the task and usually at a high hourly rate (I charge $125/hour locally just for vintage gear rebuilds
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
).

You also gain an understanding of electronics that woukld otherwise cost in the tuition area but otherwise NOPE !

We do this 'cause it is a blast mostly
cool.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 54
I reckon you can easily save money if your smart.

Lets just say you wanted to upgrade the ability of your PC as a source...

Take guzzlers DAC and build that, and then add a MINT. Show me a commercial product that will compete with that and check out the price on it. (PA2V2 has NOTHING on the MINT :p)

Of course price/performance varies as you do different projects with different aims. My Dynalo is not working out to be so cheap :p

Rob.

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 54
if you have the tools and the skills, DIY will save you a lot.

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 54
In my experience, no. Mostly because once I got started I didn't want to stop. See the link in my sig if you want the full story.

Nate

P.s. I've had a ball with DIY though and wouldn't change a thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 54
Word.

No one could have said it better (ed: than rickcr42 - I was too slow on the post).

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 54
to answer the q: does diy save money is tricky.

it does save moeny for a similar amp. you can build amps for a couple hundred that would sell for near a thousand with a name brand on em. the dynalo and a couple tube amps come to mind...

it DOES NOT save money in that once you build a cmoy you will want to build a mint, then a pimetta, then a millet, then a decicated high-grade psu, then recable every headphone you own and new psu cables, then a blaah, blaah, high voltage tube amp, blaah, blaah, electrostatic "driverbox", etc, etc, it NEVER ends. the temptation to "just buy it" is often less.

in short: if you are disip[lined, and already have tools (you really dont need many...) it saves money. if you go ape-$hit, and build this then build something else, and then anohter, you are screwed in the wallet, but you will have more pieces of nicer gear than most people you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 54
As others have said, it could save you money if you were wise about it, but it turns into an addiction or hobby, so you end up spending the same or more. Since you have woodworking skills, you could make some nice unique enclosures that will make your amps more special! I started out doing it to save money, but now I just do it because I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back