Does connectiong to Front Panel decreasing sound quality?
Nov 4, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Massive79

New Head-Fier
I recently buying an Auzentech Prelude, and it can be attached to my case front panel.

Because I saw that the cable that comes with my case which connected the soundcard to the front panel looked cheap, so I’m afraid it will not bring out my headphones t0 its max potential sound.

My question is, if I attached my headphones to my front panel header, will it give me a decrease in sound quality than attaching it directly to the soundcard?

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 10
I can't say it's always true, but for me at least, my front panel connection picks up a whine when my GPU switches to 3D mode. Otherwise, it seems to have higher impedance and is not as loud as the rear jacks at the same system volume. So in general, I avoid using the front panel jacks when I can.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 10
Honestly, it depends. My front panel cables basically had no shielding and ran by a GPU fan which loves to induce noise into the system. If it's properly shielded and of a good gauge it really shouldn't be a problem, but that's often not the case.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 10
How can I know whether my front panel cable shielded or not (I'm using Thermaltake Shark).

Or I have to depend on subjective listening?

Maybe someone can explaining some tech stuff about should I or should not I plug my headphone to front panel header? or is headphones dependance, I mean some headphones will feel the difference and some not>

Logically direct connection to soundcard should be better, but I will loose the front panel connection in my soundcard for my 2.1 speakers

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 10
My front panel pulls dramatically better RMAA numbers the rear panel (not great but pretty acceptable) and handles low imp loads better (less roll-off, better seperation). I use an EMU+amp so that's all I know about my onboard sound.

EK

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My front panel pulls dramatically better RMAA numbers the rear panel (not great but pretty acceptable) and handles low imp loads better (less roll-off, better seperation). I use an EMU+amp so that's all I know about my onboard sound.
EK

do you mean you use amp on the front panel header of the case?

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Or I have to depend on subjective listening?

Subjective listening is the only thing that matters in this case. You could look at a schematic of your PC and determine if the wires leading to the front panel go past fans or the power supply. You could, perhaps, write the manufacturer and ask what kind of wire is being used, then find out how well that wire is shielded. But none of that matters. It only matters if you're getting more noise from the front panel connections. RF is not a magic curse that piddles your PRaT or sucks out your sound stage. It is noise than can only really effect the quality of your music to the degree that it masks it, and is often masked itself, by hearing anomalies, room ambiance and the imperfections of other components in your system. If you can't hear it, subjectively, it doesn't matter.

P

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try both and listen for yourself I reckon.

Entirely agreed.

You have the equipment, use your own ears. If you don't notice a difference then thats fine. If someone else notices a difference, that would be their problem.

Generally without well shielded cables the front panel will have more interference. Although this may not happen in your case.

Try this:
Use the back panel for a week. Swap to the front panel. If you notice a negative difference, keep using the back panel.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Entirely agreed.

You have the equipment, use your own ears. If you don't notice a difference then thats fine. If someone else notices a difference, that would be their problem.

Generally without well shielded cables the front panel will have more interference. Although this may not happen in your case.

Try this:
Use the back panel for a week. Swap to the front panel. If you notice a negative difference, keep using the back panel.

I recently try to switch between front panel and back panel.

one noticable different is that if connected through back panel sound is more clear and seems stronger and louder so it give me more punchy sound.

But that lead me to other problem, if I connected my headphone to my front jack at back panel, where should I connect my speaker? to the rear panel?
or can it be set in my soundcard to have 2 front panel jack?

Because if I connect my speaker to my front panel it won't give max sound experience too right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back