Does burn in really do anything?
Dec 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

play4theworld

New Head-Fier
I am a blogger ( http://play4theworld.com/ ) and I am planning on writing a post on burning in headphones.

A google search doesn't come up with a whole lot of great stuff and I've gotten help here before so figured I'd ask!

Basically just want to know if it actually does a whole lot and how to properly go about burning in a set headphones?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, search harder. :p
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Short answer is, nope. It's all in your brain.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Was it Tyll that did an article on the T50RP's, showing significant differences with burn in?

I think it changes but it's prob all in my head, who knows.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Not really. Subjectively speaking, I've never heard burn-in before, and that's supposed to happen with my Ultrasones. However some burn in tests do show a change in distortion.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the replies!

That link was exactly what I was looking for!

When I did a quick search all I got was people arguing about whether or not it was true, glad that he really talked about the facts!

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Then again, what is sound?

It's the perception of what one hears, which is also controlled by the brain.  No matter how you look at it, anything audio related is FAKE, I TELL YOU!

On a more serious note: I do think burn in exists, but once again I think it's highly based on the person listening.  To some, subtle differences are huge through the works of their audio imagination, and to others who lack that imagination, amplifiers all sound the same.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 13
The senses and the mind do lie to you. Measurements are very important in such matters. And they do show some changes, but when you read some stories from some audiophiles, you have the prove that mind is the thing that changes the most. When I read about player burn in or cable burn in I find that rather amusing.

So, the short answer would be, some differences do appear in time if some elastic parts are involved (such as drivers), but they are subtler than many people pretend.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Yes, the surrounds on the speaker loosen up over time which is why headphone designers burn in the drivers before doing R&D. Same with car companies, etc. Most noobs around here don't believe in this, but all high end speaker designers and headphone designers consider this in their development. So, its up to you who you choose to believe. Frankly, I know what I know and don't care what anyone else thinks.
wink_face.gif
- just my $.02

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 13
I believe it's all in the head, I've never really liked my UM3X sound until i had no choice to use it at which point after a while you don't notice the smaller sound stage. I just takes a while to get used to the different sound of different headphones/IEM

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back