does ASIO / kernel streaming do anything for SQ?
Apr 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #32 of 53
....yeah, I'll go ahead and download some random .dll files from a non-english website on the whim of someone else with absolutely no indication of what I'm downloading or why it could be a potential problem
wink.gif

and anetode, I'm not at all suggesting that you're trying to propagate a worm, just hoping you'll make the link a bit less ambiguous/shady feeling, or perhaps enlighten other users not as well versed in proper browsing habits

...or we could all just throw caution to the wind and go party it up at www.trafikkonvertah.biz
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 53
I'm assuming that head-fi members know enough about internet security that they don't browse the interwebs before installing an appropriate prophylactic. I also assume that if I were to post a link to a worm/trojan/twogirlsonecup, I would be banned pretty quick.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming that head-fi members know enough about internet security that they don't browse the interwebs before installing an appropriate prophylactic.

I've assumed the same thing about seasoned engineers and other "highly educated" types, and been proven wrong time and time again, most people just don't take the time until its too late

and like I said, it was not at all a flame, consider it a passing joke (that obviously passed right above you
redface.gif
)

krackatus -> you try the new .dll to any success? or still failing?
ph34r.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 53
I added the KS dll to Foobar, but it doesn't work at all.
As per the sig, I use a BantamDAC as the output device.

I downloaded the dll from Foobar's site. Put it in the components folder. Restarted Foobar. Changed the output to "KS:USB Speakers" (the name of the Bantam in XP). Nothing
frown.gif

I press play and it does nothing. I switch back to DS: USB Speakers and it works fine.

I don't know that I need to do this to improve anything. I just thought I would give it a try. I've had a lingering doubt in the back of my mind that I'm sending "bit perfect" to the USB DAC, but it could be that I don't completely understand how it all works
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #36 of 53
obobskivich,
Just tried the version that Anetode linked. Still dosn't work.
Also tried the 0.70 version yesterday from that site with no luck.

I'm going to try it in foobar like you said in case the problem is actually Winamp.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 53
Ok just tried it with Foobar. Didn't work but I got this message.

Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device

I then tried the ASIO plugin for Foobar with ASIO4ALL and it worked! Although to be honest, I ran the same track through Foobar with ASIO and through Winamp with normal DirectSound, and couldn't hear any difference. Maybe it's just my source isn't good enough to make the difference noticeable.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #41 of 53
if you do it right in foobar you should see a little blue square with a another blue square outlined in white inside it that if you hover over it it will say ASIO4ALL- foobar2000
hope that helps if you are trying to make sure you got it up right

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #42 of 53
Yep yep, have definatley enabled it. I have it added in the ASIO virtual devices.
Also when I hover over foobar in the system tray it says ASIO4ALL - Foobar2000.
And it works fine...in Foobar. Still can't get it to work in WinAmp though. But I can't even tell the difference. I mean when I tested it, at times i thought i heard a difference, but it might have just been placebo. It must be my poor source why I can't hear the difference. Can anyone else NOT hear the difference between having ASIO or Kernel Streaming enabled and having them disabled?

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #43 of 53
This thread had me thinking about drivers. Now, I like to use the kX Project drivers with my SbLive! so I can use the superior IC on the rear channel, but using those drivers makes games sound like crap because the positional effects are all over the place and some sounds you hardly even hear. So can I use different login credentials in windows and use the kX drivers (ASIO baby) on one profile and the creative drivers on another for gaming?

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by r@mside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kernel Streaming did nothing for me:
Notebook>foobar>KS:SB Audigy 2>HD 595

should add, XP SP3

Mine is notebook>foobar>KS:SD Audigy 2 NX>DT 990 pro

And the point is that I can't use WASAPI because the music will start clipping after listening for a minute or two. That's weird
redface.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #45 of 53
Everything is so easy when you have a soundcard that natively supports ASIO (E-MU 1212m).

Ahhh... honestly though, it's still hard to tell the difference between using Directsound and ASIO with my equiptment (admittedly very mid-fi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back