Does anyone use the "album artwork" feature in itunes?
Sep 5, 2005 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
ive been thinking how sweet it would be to have this setup for some time now. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of listening to music through a computer is the lack of the album artwork. thats whats so great about a record. every time you play it, you have to open up this huge piece, and it helps pull you into the world of that album.

while the itunes artwork wouldnt be nearly the same as a record, it would be much better than nothing

it just seems like so much darn work!
plainface.gif

maybe in the future they will include a jpeg on the cd, so itunes will download it automatically.

Sep 5, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 28
I'd love to see visualizations based on album covers on Winamp(what an acid trip that would be)! Of course, getting album art for a DAP is quite something, eh? I think if album art was say, 100k each, that would be quite satisfactory since you could zoom in and examine things.

580smile.gif
Abe

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 28
I use some artwork for some tracks.

On WinXP, using a Konfabulator widget such as iTunes Bar, you can view the album artwork on your desktop. The artwork is saved to a folder and can be dragged-dropped into iTunes.

It is also possible to auto-import the album artwork into the track automatically with other widgets.

Sep 5, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 28
After I got my iPod Photo, I've been pretty religious about adding the album art to iTunes. There's something nice about having an image appear on the screen while listening. Unfortunately, my iPod Photo has decided to stop displaying album art (no idea why) for most of the files I put on it. Dunno if I'm going to really continue as it is a bit of work to search out a good image/add it to an otherwise automated ripping process.

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 5, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 28
rhythmdevils, on your 'G4laptop' you may want to try Clutter. Can use it outside iTunes (in that you don't have to tag the files) or you can apply to all album songs and tag easily.

Sep 5, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 28
For a long time I used to think that putting Album Artwork into iTunes was a really dumb idea... but then I decided that I'd stop using CD's all together and the idea became a little better and more realistic. Once I started to add the artwork... I couldn't stop.

Sep 5, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 28
I use the album artwork extensively on my itunes.

I'm comfortable in knowing that when I get the new 5G ipod, it will display the album art too!

Sep 5, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 28
blesssingx, clutter looks AWSOME. how does it work exactly? it says that it displays all the album artwork and you go through that instead of your collection. but ive got like 100 gigabytes of music, thousands of albums. is there a way to browse through it?

man, if that program worked well, it would change my life. seriously.
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 28
Clutter is basically a retriever. It pulls album art from one of four Amazons around the world based on artist and album tags (you can also manually search). It then caches it for the next time you play a track off the album. It displays in its own window (unless you drag it out for use as a album launcher) however if you want you can choose 'copy cover to iTunes' and it will copy a jpeg over to each tracks file (within an album). Track files sizes will increase though. I pretty much just launch it now to write over the art to iTunes and use iTunes to display it. Once you get your files tagged with the art there are other pluses too like using the visualizer JewelCase (you'll need a newer Mac as it uses Quartz Extreme I believe - I can't run it).

beck_front.jpg

EDIT: And there's no way to browse using album art with any iTunes plugin as far as I know. There are some rumblings that the great Delicious Library may link to iTunes tracks in the future (their designer just got hired by Apple so I'm not sure how this will impact development of future versions, nor if that function will ever be implemented). Right now cataloging has to be done separately and only good to seeing your collection and deciding what to listen to.

cover_BIG.jpg

Sep 6, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
After I got my iPod Photo, I've been pretty religious about adding the album art to iTunes. There's something nice about having an image appear on the screen while listening. Unfortunately, my iPod Photo has decided to stop displaying album art (no idea why) for most of the files I put on it. Dunno if I'm going to really continue as it is a bit of work to search out a good image/add it to an otherwise automated ripping process.

Best regards,

-Jason

This is a problem with syching. Just go into the ipod options when connected and check it to remove the artwork. Then after it's removed it, go back and check it to add it back. It will take about 10 minutes to add it back. It should fix it.

Sep 6, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #12 of 28
I have spent an ENORMOUS amount of time fine tuning my itunes music library and I always use album art if possible. I usually find album art using Amazon or Google images.

Sep 6, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 28
Is there any automated program for Windows that works well? I use iART to have it automatically search and store album art in itunes, but it crashes frequently and is poorly-written...

Sep 6, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Is there any automated program for Windows that works well? I use iART to have it automatically search and store album art in itunes, but it crashes frequently and is poorly-written...

http://www.yvg.com/itunesartimporter.shtml

Sep 6, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back