Does Anyone Run A Naim CD5x & Naim Flat-Cap 2x Setup?
Dec 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Dork Knight

500+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone runs a Naim CD5x & Naim Flat-Cap 2x setup and if so what do you think of it?

The reason being is that I'll be looking to upgrade my source in January and I've been looking at the following;

Naim CD5x & Naim Flat-Cap 2x,
Meridian G08,
Naim CD5i

A store near me has a Winter Sale on at the moment but I wont be able to make it to the store until two days before the sale ends, so I may not be able to audition any of the above (and there's nowhere else to audition within a reasonable distance).

I'll probably buy the relevant cable and hook-up my Naim Headline 2 to a Naim setup, but I don't seem to see too many people with Naim kit - Or at least not many threads that I've noticed pop up.

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Thank You & Merry Christmas,

Jason

Dec 24, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 18
I've just read the Stereophile review on the Linn Majik, however, it also seems not many people on here seem to have this product.

I wonder how the two (Linn Majik and Naim CD5x with Flat-Cap 2x) would compare.....

I think it may come down to these two players, the store which I'll visit is a authorized Naim & Linn dealer - So I'll see what I can find out and report back in early January.

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 18
Linn's unidisc series is excellent. I had chances to listen to their lowest price unidisc and their top of the line 1.1 and since the dealer also carries Rega gears I had some fun doing head to head comparison. In that particular demo room with the spkrs we were using at the time, the differences among them was not unclear, but its unclear which one is the real winner; although Linn 1.1 running SACD probably gets the nod in term of real sonic improvement, which was in no small part contributed by the SACD format
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 18
The players listed that I've heard are the Naim CD5i (owned it), CD5x (no flatcap) and the G08 (audition for a week). I didn't find there to be any difference between the two Naim players. I've been told the difference comes with the addition of the external ps. The CD5i can't be used with an external ps. The G08 has a very different sound than the Naim players.

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 18
Thank you for the information all.

I've also heard that the Naim CD5x doesn't seem that good for the money if you use it standalone, but it greatly improves when using a Naim Power Supply - Perhaps I may purchase both (CD5x & Flat-Cap) and run the CD5x for a week or two by itself... hmmm.

I'll also try and remember my Naim Forum details and check out peoples views over there.

I may also audition the Linn Majik if at all possible, the Unidisk range are above my budget at this time, however I seem to have set my heart on Naim for some reason.

Lets hope I can audition everything at the store as it would be a lot of money to waste on the wrong setup.

Enjoy the rest of the Holidays.

Jason

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 18
Good luck with your auditions! It should be interesting to hear the differences in the lineup, from the CD5i up to the CD555, if they have it. I guess the CDX2 + XPS2 would have been in my ballpark, but there are no Naim dealers here.

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 18
I wouldn't mind the CDX2 & XPS2 but that setup would cost approximately $11,000 USD, which is way out of my current budget unfortunately.

What are the prices like if that setup was sourced from the US & Canada?

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Here's the link to the US prices, I assume that Canadian prices are comparable:

NaimUSA | U.S. Retail Prices : Hi-Fi Equipment

The CDX2 would be $6,150 and the XPS2 is $5,450. Looking at these prices, you might as well get the CDS3 ($11,450), unless you're planning to buy the system in 2 stages.

The CD5x at $3,250 and the Flat-Cap 2x at $1,150 are far more reasonable. Once again, you can upgrade the power supply after buying the player first.

The CD5i looks entry-level, for Naim. Have a listen and see if all the big numbers translate into any kind of value - I think you're going to hit diminishing returns or an empty wallet pretty fast. It really looks like Naim could soak you for a lot of money - remember what you're listening for, and enjoy!

Dec 28, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 18
We have the CD5x into a Nait 5i into nSats. Isoblue 2 level stand. Sounds extraordinary for a simple system. Might try Audiogon. Lots of 5x on there for under 2k. I got the nSats there, and the 5i on a demo basis. Bought the 5x new.

Have not felt the need for a Flatcap. Know it is an upgrade, but I stretched to get to this point. Might try a hiline with your set up to keep the box count down. I hear it is as significant as the flatcap. If you have a nearby dealer, you are fortunate and can go slow.

With all the computer audio around it is hard to overachieve on a cdp with flat cap and hiline. But the beauty of Naim is it comes with interconnects already and you can upgrade by smallish steps.

Have fun.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 18
Any updates?

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 18
Hi,

I am a long term Naim user, but do not have a Naim CD Player. Naim are now going the Jukebox PC route, so just maybe you should keep this in mind before making such a major expenditure.

As far as comparisons go, please find listed below some forums which compare and discuss the various Naim offerings:
Linn Forums
Free forum : Linn Hi Fi
audio - pink fish media

Like Head-Fi, you you will have to dig and search, but I much prefer forums for advice rather than reviews. The Linn forum is not just full if Linn fanatics and you will find criticisms of some products. Julian Vereker has just joined LOL, since he has obviously become intrigued with some of the posts.

Hope this helps,

Best regards

John

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 18
I spent some time with a Naim 5i and a bare 5x. The 5i didn't quite do it for me, but the bare 5x blew my mind--one of my all time favorites. I didn't get a chance to hear it with an additional power supply, but everyone seems to indicate that it only gets better.

You might also want to give the Rega Saturn a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back