Does anyone remember the Sony MDR-CD3000? Which modern headphones are closest to those?
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fuzzybaffy

100+ Head-Fier
So back in the day... over 10 years ago, I owned a pair of Sony MDR-CD3000's. And looking back, I realize I was quite fond of them. The only reason why I sold them was because their treble was a tiny bit bright. But everything else was amazing. Just a very clean, articulate, clear sound, with very, very good bass. 

They are, unfortunately, no longer sold. Are there any headphones on the market today, that has a sound similar to the Sony MDR-CD3000? But with less treble? 

In case no one remembers the CD3000, as mentioned before, it had a very clean, airy sound. Not at all warm, yet, they were still very very engaging. But not at all too "in your face" either. As mentioned before, just a tiny bit bright, but I think everything else was neutral. 

It was also a closed back headphone - I think. Or was it a semi-closed/semi-open headphone? 

So, yes. Are there any new pair of headphones out today, that sound like the CD3000, but just a tiny bit less bright? 

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 2
I have recently had a cd3000, absolutely loved them, but feared for them around my kids and sold them for a good chunk of change. 
they are closed headphones. I'm afraid nothing else is like them, they sit at the top of dynamic driver headphone mountain for me. 

But close/reminds me of the sound: 
Fischer fa-002 wood cup headphones (a little more in your face)
Beyer dt770 non pro (not quite as rich on mids)

havent heard them yet, but soon- akg k550 description seems to match, we shall see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back