Does anyone prefer lossy over lossless for reasons other than filesize?
Sep 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 54
Actually I do have one Band I like in lossy and out of cheap headphones

RHCP, I grew up with like v4 mp3's and cheap sony cans. I find them rather boring in lossless and out of my high end gear... but out of some Sony MDR Zx300s they are pretty bangin! xD still I don't listen to them much as I have found FAR better bands... BUT when I get that urge I have the lossy's around some where 

and I've abx'd v0 and lossless a dozen times easy to tell apart. It's all in the highs, don't need a killer sample just need a drum kit a foot from you lol, give that snare a whack... remember the sense of air and energy it has, and u'll notice lossess is a little more real... 

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 54
Sep 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 54
It's well worth checking out what UltMusicSnob has been up to recently.

Turns out he has such a good ear that so far only 2 people have been able to replicate his results!  Not only that he can do it on  $10 earbuds via a laptop on-board sound card..

Good story. Wish you joy of it UMS. Well played.

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 54

Turns out he has such a good ear that so far only 2 people have been able to replicate his results!  Not only that he can do it on  $10 earbuds via a laptop on-board sound card..

Isn't there a jitter audibility test going around , we need him(?) to get onto that one !

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #20 of 54

Thank you, much appreciated. Hydrogen Audio has an entire "Listening Tests" area of the forum, a virtual playground for my interests, frankly. And of course very happy to find another replication there.

Re Nick Charles: umm, what would jitter even sound like? I get the basic notion, but don't really have any sense of what *sort* of distortion that would cause, even if it was obviously a problem and easily measured.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #21 of 54
On the OP, there is an MP3 encoder I would recommend, because of the effect it has on Redbook audio. The LAME 3100l  (that's a lower-case letter "L" at the end) is available here. It is a command-line program, but the commands are very short and easy to understand.

To my ears, this algorithm is very well balanced across the frequency spectrum at high quality settings (use the -V1 or -V0 command, 0 is the highest). While the sound does change ever so slightly, the change imparted is very musical, and in many contexts might be considered an improvement, depending on your tastes.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #22 of 54
  On the OP, there is an MP3 encoder I would recommend, because of the effect it has on Redbook audio. The LAME 3100l  (that's a lower-case letter "L" at the end) is available here. It is a command-line program, but the commands are very short and easy to understand.

To my ears, this algorithm is very well balanced across the frequency spectrum at high quality settings (use the -V1 or -V0 command, 0 is the highest). While the sound does change ever so slightly, the change imparted is very musical, and in many contexts might be considered an improvement, depending on your tastes.

Or you can try Vorbis 

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 54
Size doesn't matter .. for sound quality.
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #26 of 54
  Size doesn't matter .. for sound quality.
wink.gif

Strange how it's never the bigger one that says that... 
tongue.gif

NK

Exactly lol, those poor guys running those compact little rigs. I mean not all of us can run around with an All LossLess Portable rig. Not every one is blessed with a little extra size ;3

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #27 of 54
What I mean is that sound quality is achieved during production and not during playback using some super duper high-res format.
The statement, that CDs sound bad, is an excuse given when people didn't know what they were doing during production.

Also, lossless is lossless, no loss. It decodes perfectly bit by bit to the original file. Again, the size of the resulting (e.g. flac) file does not correlate with sound quality. I have countless flac files that have higher "sound quality" but much lower bitrate (file size/duration).

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 54
  What I mean is that sound quality is achieved during production and not during playback using some super duper high-res format.
The statement, that CDs sound bad, is an excuse given when people didn't know what they were doing during production.

Also, lossless is lossless, no loss. It decodes perfectly bit by bit to the original file. Again, the size of the resulting (e.g. flac) file does not correlate with sound quality. I have countless flac files that have higher "sound quality" but much lower bitrate (file size/duration).

Oh I know, just picking on  you and pushing the leud joke forward lol

And AIFF is the apple equilvant to PCM right 

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #29 of 54

And AIFF is the apple equilvant to PCM right 

AIFF is just a container, yeah kinda the Apple version of RIFF WAVE (wav). Both can (and usually do) contain PCM.

Lossy/lossless codecs usually contain something completely different - they have to compress the data after all - but decode to PCM as well.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #30 of 54
  AIFF is just a container, yeah kinda the Apple version of RIFF WAVE (wav). Both can (and usually do) contain PCM.

Lossy/lossless codecs usually contain something completely different - they have to compress the data after all - but decode to PCM as well.

opps, thanks for the correction. 

Oh man... can you imagine the Audio Phile who walks around with 32bit PCM lol, that's what like 1gb for an entire song almost 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back