Does anyone make a software-based crossfeed?
Apr 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
I went looking for this once before without much luck. I've switched from my little Headroom Airhead to a vintage HK integrated amp for use with my Senns, and the results are good. Headroom is a powerful thing. I miss the crossfeed a bit, though. I didn't use it much, but on older recordings where some instruments are panned very hard to one channel or the other, it really helped a lot. I don't want to have to choose and amp with crossfeed just to use it every now and then, and my computer is my source, so something in software would be a good solution.

Anything out there?

Tim

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went looking for this once before without much luck. I've switched from my little Headroom Airhead to a vintage HK integrated amp for use with my Senns, and the results are good. Headroom is a powerful thing. I miss the crossfeed a bit, though. I didn't use it much, but on older recordings where some instruments are panned very hard to one channel or the other, it really helped a lot. I don't want to have to choose and amp with crossfeed just to use it every now and then, and my computer is my source, so something in software would be a good solution.

Anything out there?

Tim

Well it depends on your audio player but there are several options for foobar2k. I don't use Foobar anymore because it doesn't support hi rez WMA, but I had 2 or 3 different cross feed routines for example:

Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it depends on your audio player but there are several options for foobar2k. I don't use Foobar anymore because it doesn't support hi rez WMA, but I had 2 or 3 different cross feed routines for example:

Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP

I'm an iTunes user.

Tim

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 10
There is a nice little crossfeeder plugin that I use for Winamp. I don't remember the name of it off hand.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Good question Tim. I too have a Total AirHead, and the crossfeed is my favorite thing about it. It really does help remove the "blobs in the head" effect of pure stereo with headphones. The soundstage really opens up, and long listening sessions are easier on the brain. What's crazy is turning it off after a while...you can physically feel the effect. The only thing I don't like about it is the slight coloration. I don't use any EQ settings or anything, and when the crossfeed is on, there's a definite move towards a more bassy sound, and rolloff on the highs, but overall it's a nice feature.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Doesnt RockBox have a software crossfeed?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesnt RockBox have a software crossfeed?

Yeah, Rockbox has a crossfeed feature. Sadly I haven't been able to use Rockbox for a while. iPod Classic isn't supported, and I also recently bought a Sansa E280 only to find out it's a v2 model and isn't supported either!
frown.gif

Rockbox is great, I just wish there was more support for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back