Does anyone make a female Ipod connector to male 1/8" cable?
Jan 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
There are lots of products such as Ipod speakers that use Apple's dock connector. Some of them don't have aux inputs. The Ipods have a female docking port, so these accessories have male Dock connectors. I'm reluctant to buy that sort of product because they could become obsolete if Apple changes the new Ipods or I want to use something else.

The best I can find is this Griffin adapter which is a solid piece: Amazon.com: Griffin Dock Adapter for iPod shuffle 2G (White): Electronics

I'm wondering if that's the best solution. Are there any alternatives, maybe something cheaper, or something in a cable format?

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 4
What exactly is it you want to achieve ?

The product you point to is specifically for the Shuffle that does not have a line out port. It plugs in to the headphone out of the shuffle and then at the other end has a female iPod connector like on the bigger iPods so you can use it in any of the standard iPod docks/speakers/etc. Using the headphone out will normally be inferior to using the line out but since the Shuffle does not have a line out this is the best that can be done, but normally you will not want to use the headphone out in place of a line out.

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 4
I want to be able to use non-Ipod source with Ipod accessory sources. I was thinking of buying a used first-gen Bose Sounddock, specifically. They don't have an aux. With an aux, I could keep it for a long time and use it as a general-purpose compact powered stereo speaker, essentially, rather than having to throw it away if I stop using Ipods or if Apple changes the connectors to something else.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 4
I see. In that case I guess that the Griffin adaptor you point to should do the trick. I have not seen any other product that sports a female iPod connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back