Does anyone know how to adjust the springs on a Sota turntable?
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had some problems keeping my Sota Nova turntable level. The stand that it is on is perfectly level, and while it is possible to get the platter level, you have to put the feet at pretty awkward positions to get there. Something seemed off. I think I found out the reason; the Sota has a subchassis that is supported by springs, and it appears that one of them is wound up so tight that the subchassis is not parallel with the rest of the turntable.

Does anyone know how I could adjust the spring? It seems like it is just one of them that needs to be tweaked.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I'll take a stab at this. I'm not familiar with your deck, however, my Orbe has a similar suspension. You can remove the tower covers and turn a screw to tighten or loosen the springs. I'd bet yours does the same.

When I did my setup, I used a level to get the subplatter perfectly level. Then I used a pair of calipers to make sure the spring towers were exactly at the same height and oriented the springs. Then I put a bubble level (can't remember the model and I'm at work) on the spindle and fine-tuned with a screwdriver.

Might not be exactly the same for a Sota, but I do recommend calipers for getting the springs pretty close in height. That takes a lot of the manual fiddling out of it.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 6
There are four screws on the bottom of the subchassis... would these be the spring screws? Do I have to disassemble the deck to do this, or can I just fiddle with the screws until everything seems balanced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take a stab at this. I'm not familiar with your deck, however, my Orbe has a similar suspension. You can remove the tower covers and turn a screw to tighten or loosen the springs. I'd bet yours does the same.

When I did my setup, I used a level to get the subplatter perfectly level. Then I used a pair of calipers to make sure the spring towers were exactly at the same height and oriented the springs. Then I put a bubble level (can't remember the model and I'm at work) on the spindle and fine-tuned with a screwdriver.

Might not be exactly the same for a Sota, but I do recommend calipers for getting the springs pretty close in height. That takes a lot of the manual fiddling out of it.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 6
The screws underneath are probably where the spring towers/plate meet the subchassis. I think you'll need to get inside.

The springs are stretched - not compressed. Compressed springs would make it more wobbly, so the mounts are built so the platter hangs at the bottom of the springs. Once you open it up, you should see some kind of arrangement to move how far up and down the springs travel.

Come to think of it, you don't need calipers. They're great if you have them, but you could also cut a piece of cardboard or cardstock and use that to adjust each spring tower to be the same.

I'm starting to recall those suppressed memories of turntable adjustment now.
wink.gif
. Justkeep in mind that it is worth it. Also, you'll forget what a pain it was in a few days, but your deck will sound awesome for a long time.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to recall those suppressed memories of turntable adjustment now.
wink.gif
. Justkeep in mind that it is worth it. Also, you'll forget what a pain it was in a few days, but your deck will sound awesome for a long time.

Yes, the more you know, the crazier you get. With my CDP, it's pretty much "It works" or "It doesn't work" and maybe by upgrading I'll get a slightly better sound. With the turntable, it's "Hmm, I've only spent a couple of hours on this adjustment, maybe I should try it a fourth time!"

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the more you know, the crazier you get. With my CDP, it's pretty much "It works" or "It doesn't work" and maybe by upgrading I'll get a slightly better sound. With the turntable, it's "Hmm, I've only spent a couple of hours on this adjustment, maybe I should try it a fourth time!"

smile.gif

I'm not familiar with the Sota but if it's anything like the Thorens or Linn decks I feel your pain.
You should check with other Sota owners or Sota themselves what the optimal levelling should be like.

But generally speaking the easiest way is to put it on one of those Target style turntable tables with the removable shelves so the frame is basically supporting it around the periphery but allowing access to the innards.
Get a small spirit level in the middle of the platter and then adjust all the springs undereath until they are completely loose.

Tighten them in turn while keeping the spirit bubble level until the deck bounces evenly when you gently push down on the spindle. It shoudn't wobble or rock otherwise you've got the tightness uneven.

It can take hours to get this right and you need to check it every so often to make sure it's still balanced but the difference in sound will be worth it I promise you. A well set up suspended subchassis is a thing of beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back