Does anyone here use Large Shure olives?
Feb 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
they are damn large man.

but since the medium olives didnt give me a perfect seal..i was thinking of trying the larger.

when u squeeze them...do they expand out of your ear and becoming loose or do they expand inside the ear canal and give a very tight seal?

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 7
They "just" fit my ears. I have large canals apparently, the others require deep insertion like etys.

Hold them in place a little longer and wait for the foam to stop crackling/expanding and see if they stay longer.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 7
I use large shure olives. They fit shallow with my um3x because they don't go in deep. Because I have ear canals tapering at a extreme angle, the shallow insert requires the large olives. They expand and fill up entrance of canal, fitting flush. Otherwise I have to use the shure triple flange tips for deep insertion, creating a seal further down the ear canal. Probably more details than you asked for.

I get quite a different acoustic effect. With the silicon tips, I get better highs and lower bass response. The olives give me a warmer feel because the highs roll off sooner and the bass sounds slightly muddier.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 7
I use the large as well. I find they give me a good seal and don't slip out. However I find the way to get the best fit is to open my mouth, slightly pull the back of my ear up and toward the back of my head and just insert them uncompressed. My ear canals aren't big enough that they just slide in but with a slight push they insert as deeply as they can and I get a great seal. I may look silly doing it but a minor sacrifice for better sound!

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Large Olives are the ONLY foamies that fit me--even large Complys with deep insertion are leaky.

Try them out. If they fail, someone will buy the remainder off you on the FS forums--they're popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back