Does anyone here use headphones primarily for movies?
Nov 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

abar20

New Head-Fier
I'm a movie watcher. I love music, but movies always come first. And now with blu ray I want to experience the full potential of the high audio quality. I had plans to buy a 7.1 channel speaker system for $3k. That hasn't happened yet, and I'm if headphones are good for movies.

Want: Some SUPER SUPER SUPER comfortable (can't emphasize enough bc I watch A LOT of movies per day) headphones that also sound decent, and would be ideal for movies.. whatever that means..

Budget: flexible 500-2000 USD

Preferences: Open ear (I hate the pressured feeling those noise isolation cans cause), Light weight ( I don't want to notice they are there)

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Ultrasone Proline 2500 I would recommend from my Proline 750 and Pro 900 experience. 2500 is the open version of the 750 and has reported slightly wider soundstage.

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 18
IMO, coming from being a home theater enthusiast, if you want to watch movies it's better off with 5.1 or 7.1 speakers-- NOT UNLESS the neighbors would complain then I'll go for headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 18
I use my HD 555 for movies and they're great. Eventually when I get my HD800, I will use the HD650 for movies and gaming.

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 18
My suggestion, since it fits into your budget very well (and I'm loving them) - find a pair of Grado HF2 and send them to Headphile for modding to v.2 Vixen. You gain large soundstage (yes, with Grado drivers), Beyer comfort, and all of the bass you'd want (Larry has found a way to place the drivers close to the ears). You'll lose the metallic tinge that stock version possesses, making them significantly more natural and musical.
Unfortunately for you, I have the only such pair made to date (have ordered a 2nd pair) - specify no foam and simply BlackCopper cabling. Amping? Recommendable home amps would be Blue Circle SBH, or EAR HP4 (NOS Tung Sol in rear positions). Portable amp - Pico works well.....haven't found my P51 to give it a try.....yet - been substituting Xin B5 Reference (tethered to another iMod iPod at times).
These will take the place of the movie headphone needs AND music needs......and since the use of headphones make it a more personal experience - you may decide to scrap the 7.1 idea........unless your movie setup is in a room with cathedral ceiling.

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 18
HD 555/95 / AD 700

Standard

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, coming from being a home theater enthusiast, if you want to watch movies it's better off with 5.1 or 7.1 speakers-- NOT UNLESS the neighbors would complain then I'll go for headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I have neighbors but the walls are THICK and I really only need to grab the remote during explosions and stuff. But...

WHy are speakers better for movies? The other day I watched a scene from Stranger than FIction blu ray using my brothers monster beats by dr dre and I felt like I was hearing the movie for the first time. I "felt" what the character was saying, as if he was present in the room. Unfortunately the headphones practically gave me a headache after about 3 mins ( maybe the audio was too colored plus there was an electrical humming in the background, and they werent heavy and uncomfortable)

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

and I'm if headphones are good for movies.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but no they're not. I've got a decent 7.1 home theatre and headphones.

Trying to describe why a ht is better than phones for movies is like trying to explain the difference between FPS and firing a real gun. It's worlds apart.

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 18
Depends on what speakers you have. Speakers are better for movies because speakers give off a more natural, less forced sound for movies. You actually feel like a bystander watching the movie, where on headphones, you feel squished on the set.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 18
Yes home theater systems have the benefit of having the center speaker right where the action takes part. And you also get more space with satellites further away. However headphones do have advantages... Unparalled clarity in the mid range, isolation and regarding head stage my speakers doesn´t come close. But isolation is the biggest benefit.

It´s pretty much 50/50. Dramas, horror movies I generally go for my headphones. Action movies/westerns or such speakers.

But that is with my Ultrasones none of my other headphones performs nearly as well for gaming/movies. If I didn´t have my Pro 900 I would probably be using speakers 90 % of the time.

Soundstage is important for music but it´s paramount for gaming/movies.
But to make full use of bluray format you do need a 5.1 system at least. You get uncompressed audio in all channels. For stereo it doesn´t do nearly as much.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no they're not. I've got a decent 7.1 home theatre and headphones.

Trying to describe why a ht is better than phones for movies is like trying to explain the difference between FPS and firing a real gun. It's worlds apart.

Everybody knows that fps is way better then firing a real gun.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back