Does anyone have a Sony MDR-XB90EX that is "made in Japan"?
Oct 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Eirwyn

Head-Fier
Hello! I was using a MDR-XB41EX and wanted an upgrade, so I've bought a MDR-XB90EX. I've realised that it is made in China, but I thought they were only produced in Japan. I did some research and found out that there are both Chinese versions and Japanese versions, and Japanese version is much better. Chinese version has low sound, and low quality as well (and I can confirm that unfortunately). However, I searched and searched and searched, both English websites and Japanese websites, but couldn't find any version that is made in Japan! Even Japanese imports have written "made in China" on them. Does anyone even have a Japanese version, or they're actaully all made in China unlike some people claim?

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 10
Some say theirs is made in Japan. But I messaged Sony and they said it is made in China. Also both Chinese and Japanese imports say made in China on the box. So I'm still really confused about this, mostly because mine is made in China too and I can't say I liked them after my MDR-XB41EX so I thought maybe I didn't like them because Chinese version is not the same quality, but there is no evidence of actual Japanese versions.

Bottom line, MDR-XB41EX >>> MDR-XB90EX to my taste. I wish I'd buy new pairs instead of a more expensive upgrade
confused_face.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi, I'm looking for xb90ex's made in Japan too, but while googling I found something interesting. It seems that there are two types of packages going around. The first one, and the one that seems the most common, only has Japanese text in the top right on the front of the package. The second and less common package also has 'Punchy and deep-range bass' in English in the top right. Both package have 'made in China' on them though.

This is the japanese only package:

While this is the japanese/english package:

Now because you seem to have the worse, 'made in China' version, which type of package did you get with your xb90ex?
Thanks in advance! :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes, I found the same thing, that's why I don't believe there is a version that is actually made in Japan.
My box is the second one, it has Chinese & English writings on it.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, most people are actually quite pleased with theirs, so maybe it's just my taste or maybe I really have the low quality version (if there are really different versions). All I can say is my XB41EX is seriously far better. I thought about buying another, with Japanese writings on it this time, to see if they are really different, even though they're both made in China but I didn't wanna spend my money for a possible nothing.

May 20, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 10
Some say theirs is made in Japan. But I messaged Sony and they said it is made in China. Also both Chinese and Japanese imports say made in China on the box. So I'm still really confused about this, mostly because mine is made in China too and I can't say I liked them after my MDR-XB41EX so I thought maybe I didn't like them because Chinese version is not the same quality, but there is no evidence of actual Japanese versions.

Bottom line, MDR-XB41EX >>> MDR-XB90EX to my taste. I wish I'd buy new pairs instead of a more expensive upgrade :confused_face:  

Have a pair on the way that should arrive next week , got them here:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-XB90EX-In-Ear-EXTRA-BASS-Stero-Headphones-Black-Made-in-Japan-MP6143-/181864443619?txnId=1506277924008

Seller states they are made in Japan.. will find out soon enough then post impressions after an overnight burn in ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back