Does anyone happen to own a Sony D-555 discman from back in the day?
Jan 2, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 27
Alas, seems the laser in my D-555 is going out. Anyone know where I can get it repaired?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long
get the sound card, extigy/audigy 24bit..

under the EAX control panel, you could choose from a variety of effects which i recall there should be a few which meets ur needs

Yeah, I have a Realtek soudn card with a bunch a cool EAX effects, but since there are no daps with realtek drivers it's a moot point
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 27
I'd like to leave my impressions as a regular user of a Sony D-Z555 (the same as D-555, with an extra Z
icon10.gif
) during the last couple of months.
I recently had the unit serviced at the Sony Importer Technical Services, having the three original Nichicon Capacitors replaced + global fine tuning/ internal cleaning... I also bought a replacement BP-2EX Li-Ion battery.

As I was saying, three months ago I started an Internship away from home, where I keep my main headphone system (Sony SCD-1 + Prehead MkI + HD-650 & Zu Mobius/Alessandro MS-2...), and decided use my D-Z555 (unamped) + Grado SR-60 during the working week.

Globally find this combo very satisfying (enough for me not to miss the big system...). I also tried the D-Z with the Shure E3s, but the increase in the noise background bothers me a bit (this increase also occurs using the 0 Ohm output of the Prehead, and with some of my other Discmans/MP3 players).
I tend not to use (99% of the time) the Equalization/ Sound processing options, but do like looking at the Equalizer bars
tongue.gif

And yes, it does look nice when compared to the rest of the PCDPs.
http://bixeu.com.sapo.pt/Sony4.jpg

I have even done some (unfair, I admit) comparisons between the SCD-1/Prehead combo and the D-Z555 (unamped) using the HD-650s, with CDs I know quite well, and besides a slight lack of body/3Dness on some of them, found nothing to complain about regarding the D-Z555!!! And that has probably to do with the fact that the HD-650 are demanding headphones and I was using the Discman volume 1/4 short of max...

As usual take the above with a grain of salt and bare in mind I do not regard myself as having Golden Ears...
plainface.gif

Bruno

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mano
is that effect similar to SRS 3D WOW? maybe you should try that one (many iriver and other korean daps have it); my friend has an Iriver IFP 799 and the effect is kinda entretaining for a while.

Maybe it does. iRiver stuff that has SRS 3D WOW brings out the material in the 'surround channel(s)' more clearly so you can hear it in your headphones. So it might simulate having four speakers. You can set this mode to either 'minimum', 'natural' (middle/medium), or 'maximum' (highest, this is where I leave it). It works with the 3D EQ on my iMP-550, so I zero all of those bands and just have the SRS at max. So I hear more of the sound. :wink:

I think some Aiwa stuff used to use 'Qsound', which was like the same thing.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Could you let me know of the source you used for the BP-2EX? I've been looking for one for ages. Thanks

Dear Bangraman,

The battery is not an actual Sony BP-2EX, but a brandless Li-Ion replacement (3,6v instead of the original 4v, but the same 600mAh). You can see a photo with both batteries on http://bixeu.com.sapo.pt/Sony1.jpg

I bought the new battery at http://www.akkuauswahl.de/80156-2.html but it is also sold at http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/sonbp2x2exre.html
So far I have used it a couple of times and it works OK (I got about 3-4 CDs worth of play from a full charge); the only warning I got from a fellow Headfier ... who knew a couple of D-555 owners who use the Li-Ion battery... was not to leave it charging for long once the Discman indicated it was fully charged.

Bruno

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 27
Yup, those brandless Li-Ion replacement BP-2EX batteries as posted by Brunobiseu will work and safely take on a charge when being charge within a PCDP. However, you need to make sure that you don't over charge the battery once it is indicated that it's fully charge.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #24 of 27
Hi guys. Well it seems my D-555 is all but caput. The disc spins and the unit lights up, but something is not engaging, causing the track not to start playing. I'm guessing it's the laser.

Oh well....but the REAL question I have is, would it be possible to somehow modify the D555 into an external headphone amp, and putting a line in jack on it? Damn...that would rock BIG TIME! Basically just modfiy the internals and add a line in jack so I can plug in my iPod, and still retain the EQ, Surround, Bass Boost functions and Volume control. What do you guys think? Possible?

I simply cannot find any plugin for either Winamp or F00bar2000, nor any effects for my E-MU1616M Soundcard, that duplicates/emulates the surround sound effect on the 555 exactly the way it sounds through the player. It just seems like it's something of a fluke sony did to produce such a unique effect. To be able to use this effect by using the player itself as a modified amp would solve this problem and would make Isamu one happy camper
lambda.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #27 of 27
Hi guys. Anything changed in the last 12 years? :p

You know what I would like to see? I would like to see someone mod the D-555 so that it allows it to play tracks from a Micro-SD card, rather than a CD. Or perhaps a mod that allows a line in signal for even a usb connection for external hard drives, etc. Have any of you heard of such a mod being done to this little classic machine?

Also, any new home theater receivers come out recently that pulls off the same or similar "surround" effect that D-555 has?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back