Does anyone find the Westone 4 sound to be slightly muffled?
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if i got a bad pair, my hearing, or maybe I'm too use to the UM3X but the sound (particularly the mids) seem to be muffled on the Westone 4. I originally had the Shure535 and I really like the sound signature but the fit was terrible for me so I returned them for the westonee UM3X which was a great fit. The sound signature was different but the vocals were still pretty good. They grew on me over time but unfortunately (due to stupidity) I lost the UM3X, I was going to get another UM3X but then saw the Westone 4 so I decided to try them. I knew going in the that the sound signature was going to be somewhat different than the UM3X but did not think it would sound muffle. The comfy foams were the worst, they had the best isolation but the vocals sounded like they were coming out of a cone. The black olive ones were probably the best but they still sounded like music was coming another room with the door closed but speakers blasted at max. Though I have to say that the Westone 4's are even more comfortable than the UM3X. Anyone have any problems with their Westone 4?

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 23
To me, the W4s have a bit more airiness than the UM3X.  They certainly aren't muffled.  This is happening in both your ears?

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 23
Have you tried a different source (amp)? I haven't heard of this problem with the 4's but triplefi10s plugged into my integrated amp sounded like the treble knob was turned all the way back. I read later that this is not all that rare and it has to do with the impedance curve of the triplefis. Maybe the 4's and certain amps don't play well together?

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 23
Yes mention your source, but also the mids are said to be more laid back than the forward-mids of the UM3X but not muffled at all. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 23
My W4 now sound muffled on its right-side driver, so defective unit is certainly possible (I'm contacting Earphone Solutions to get mine replaced).
Maybe yours unfortunately have similar symptoms on both left and right, so get in touch with your seller.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Have you tried a different source (amp)? I haven't heard of this problem with the 4's but triplefi10s plugged into my integrated amp sounded like the treble knob was turned all the way back. I read later that this is not all that rare and it has to do with the impedance curve of the triplefis. Maybe the 4's and certain amps don't play well together?

I'm currently using the Fiio E5 headphone amp. I've tried with the Bass boost and without the bass boost on. Bass boost really drove the bass and I didn't like it. Everything started bassy, boomy.

My sources are all Flac or wave audio

Songs I've tried with the headphone so far

Journey: Wayward son, Eric Clapton: wonderful tonight, Layla, = Instruments are clear but loudness seems recessed, held back, sounds a little distant. Vocals are clear but more receessed toward the back than the instruments. Loudness of vocals seem to be dimmed

Robyn: Dancing with myself, = Bass is thumpy, boomy vocals seem to be playing second fiddle to the instrutments. 

Def Leppard:  Pour some sugar on me = Drums are good, bass is there but loudness seems recessed, held back, sounds a little distant, Vocals are like Eric Claption

Even when the song is loud, the loudness seems distant. I guess the best example would be, your neighbor blasting his stereo system next door at full volume in at 3 am with out traffic or outside noise. You can hear the song, the instruments, vocals but it's distant sounding, it's loud but dimmed at the same time.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
I'm currently using the Fiio E5 headphone amp.

That's a pretty common amp, so I would think if there were issues specific to the E5 we would've heard more of them by now.  But I would still recommend trying the W4s with some other source (amp), such as straight out of the DAP (iPod, PC, whatever).

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 23
I'm using W4 either via FiiO 7 DAC or straight out of iPhone 4 and in both cases mids sound extremely clean and crispy. Frankly there are very minor differencies between both ways. Only when I listen to W4 via my stationary Creek OBH-11 amp there are some apprecitable differencies, mainly in soundstage and bass dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back