Does anyone besides me hate the term "cans'?
Feb 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

choptalk

Head-Fier
For some reason I cant stand it when someone calls headphones cans.
I dont know it just dont seem right.
It's just something you will never hear me say.

"Can's"

Cant we come up with something else?

It just sounds goofy for lack of a better word.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 18
Well, first off, there isn't an apostrophe in there - it isn't a can possessing some other object, it's a collection of objects which are individually a can (hence, cans). Also, I'm fairly sure it's a British English slang that's crossed the pond. Finally, I don't see it as a problem either way - cans, headphones, stereophones, earspeakers, I don't really care what you call it, as long as it makes good vibrations.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 18
It's probably the LOLcat effect... "I can haz cans"

Google "audio cans" gives 15 million hits. Unfortunately, anyone who prefers sensible names for things is highly outnumbered.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 18

What says its "sensible" - remember that outside of structured orthography, there is no objective "right answer" to language.
Quote:
It's probably the LOLcat effect... "I can haz cans"

Google "audio cans" gives 15 million hits. Unfortunately, anyone who prefers sensible names for things is highly outnumbered.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 18
but, but, it's my favorite slang word for headphones. :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
but, but, it's my favorite slang word for headphones.
frown.gif

Quote:
I like "cans" better than "phones"

QFT.  I actually don't like it, but you might not know that because I do refer to them as "cans" often.  I first picked it up as a pro audio term, and it is as legitimate a term to me as "b•lls to the wall" and "t•ts up" are legitimate, necessary, and widely understood engineering terms.

And on top of that, "phones" in this very modern day and age of people actually plugging these things into their telephones really makes it seem like the wrong word to use.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 18
The terms is short--one syllable and only 3 or 4 letters.  Therefore, it's convenient.

However, it's not very intuitive with regard to what it means.  ...except when I think of what was on the end of the strings we ran between the second stories of our homes when I was a kid in the early 60's.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Well, first off, there isn't an apostrophe in there - it isn't a can possessing some other object, it's a collection of objects which are individually a can (hence, cans). Also, I'm fairly sure it's a British English slang that's crossed the pond. Finally, I don't see it as a problem either way - cans, headphones, stereophones, earspeakers, I don't really care what you call it, as long as it makes good vibrations.

Yes, it is.

English English slang.

:)

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 18

I read that it is also a Jazz slang for headphones. I understand when someone does not like to use the term. Sometimes we love headphones so much, one way to respect and appreciate the headphones is to call and address properly as headphones.
Quote:
I like "cans" better than "phones"

I, too, agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back