does an amp exist today better than the iQube?
Nov 2, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #46 of 76
yeah, which costs a total of one grand. Now were in hi-fi non-portable slash desktop amp territory for that money you have to "open" the question up at least 5 fold.

To be honest I'm thinking of getting a used RSA HR-2 for approx. $500. It's not portable but I can lug it to work and use it outside when I want to enjoy my music under the stars. Then use my iqube in "true" portable situations, is. Traveling.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #47 of 76
sounds like a plan; I dont know about this collecting of portable amps thing. unless you have money to burn and you also have heaps of different cans to create synergy with. the lisa obviously isn't as portable as the iqube and if I get it will be housed in the 1060 pelican case rig that i'm building; it would be ok in a bag, but definitely not pocket material. and with its RCA inputs actually can serve as a nice pre for my KRK active studio monitors. it doesn't need the extra power supply but it is really handy actually because it can supply power via a regular type plug like the one used to charge my pico, be adapted to charge my mobile etc. etc. but of course I could DIY a power supply just like it for much less. also the lisa III can come in a nice wood case too
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely love my iqube. It drives my grados perfectly...

Is there any reason to buy another portable when I have the iqube?

Tubes sound is the reason.

Get TTVJ Millet portable. I beleive it has good chances to compete with iQube feeding Grados. Not sure on Darths, though, it is quite picky amp.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #49 of 76
I looked into ttvj Millett hybrid and the seller told me I was crazy to think of buying it off him. He said the gain in minimal at best.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked into ttvj Millett hybrid and the seller told me I was crazy to think of buying it off him. He said the gain in minimal at best.

I've own the ttvj millett portable and can say it has some serious synergy with Grados. Its not always about detail. I didn't like it with anything else though.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've own the ttvj millett portable and can say it has some serious synergy with Grados. Its not always about detail.

x2. It also sounds wonderfull with ER-4S, OK1, ATH-CM700.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one here gets 12-24 hours on a full charge and is made from the creator of the iMod. I've heard it with K1000 before, its wonderful. For the sound quality, at 14 pounds its worth carrying a backpack.
biggrin.gif

Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2

LOL this is pretty funny considering our conversations of late
tongue_smile.gif
I assume you're being facetious
tongue.gif
definitely the best battery powered 'portable' that i've ever heard, but the optional back brace to mount it on is a bit pricey/inconvenient

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrfxlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LISA 3 XP can work more than 30hours without cheage, but it becomes bigger and much more heavy.

actually I thought there was a version of the power supply in a separate enclosure that allowed 80hrs; theres a lisa III available second hand at the moment for 600

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually I thought there was a version of the power supply in a separate enclosure that allowed 80hrs; theres a lisa III available second hand at the moment for 600

The Lisa III XP will run near 80 hours on a full charge!

There are brand new Lisa III std. (that LOOK better)
available @ $600 including S&H (not inc LLP)

Just want to have accurate info here, thanks, Brad

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remitrom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is the charge time? The new Lisa III std. is not listed on your page yet?

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remitrom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ahh ok how long does it run with LLP for? I knew 80hrs was mentioned but thought that was with the LLP. brilliant battery life; I guess thats one of the advantages of a transportable setup; room for better power supply.

Nov 7, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #59 of 76
I'm very happy with my Iqube. I started with a Headroom portable micro amp, upgraded to a RSA Hornet, which is clearly beated by the Iqube in term of low and mateer, as well as top high. I'd like to try the Pico wich is said to be on the warm/tube side in the highs, may be a good thing to soften numeric's harshness. The Iqube is indeed very neutral, has a powerful low but is maybe lacking a bit of air and image in the mid/highs and is maybe also a little "monochromic" in term of tones (but well, we're in portable audio).
This said, his neutrality reveals great differences between records, which is a quality. Makes a very neutral combo with Imod, HD 600 and ALO cable's full line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back