Does a player exist with HiFiMan quality without the built-in amp?
May 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #31 of 92
Quote:
Question. How does rockbox "improve audio quality"?

Or do people just like the UI? I have a clip (v2) and I find the UI to be fine. Whats in for me if I rockbox it?

I think that the boys at rockbox have a good page for this on their site, it can at least articulate it far more effectively than i can :).

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FeatureComparison

As for "SQ" which is a term i really dislike, i don't use it i rather "sound signature" as i think it articulates what people mean when they say "SQ". I think "SQ" is far too definite a wording for something that is so very different for each individual if you dig what I'm planting.

But it offers an 5 band parametric EQ that is bar none the best of any i have used on any device, the customization is essentially limitless within the EQ. As well you have the fantastic Crossfeed offering extreme customization as well both which really improve the overall sound signature to whatever you prefer.

Definitely worth a try if you have a V2 clip, even if just testing it out as you can dual boot with the original firmware so you don't really lose anything.

May 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #33 of 92
Sony X series.  Its overpriced, but not as much as HiFi man and I really dont care to try S:Flo2 made from the same place that make MP4 players Fiio amps(stay away!).  And I dont need monster copper either. :p  This forum is hype city.

May 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #36 of 92
popcorn.gif

Why am I always away from the computer when all the good stuff is going on?

Would I spend $800 for a DAP? Not likely at the moment, perhaps if it was leagues and bounds above any other player sound signature wise (good expression Rockford, after all people`s preferences are subjective), but then it would have to be at least 64GB SSD, preferably 128GB. I wouldn`t mind a big, ugly, bulky DAP either. I loved my first Nomad Jukebox 3 and only gave it away and got a Creative Zen Touch because I needed more space.

Can`t say that my current players are disappointing sound wise, otherwise I would not keep them. They all perfectly well fill their purpose of providing music on the go.

To each his own, I say. I even accept all the people walking around with iPod nano and white apple buds in their ears. I might not like it, but I accept it...

May 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #37 of 92

Quote:
 I even accept all the people walking around with iPod nano and white apple buds in their ears. I might not like it, but I accept it...

I usually punch those people.

As for 'audiophile' grade stuff, it's like everything else.  There is always a point on a price/performance graph where diminishing returns comes into play.  Everyone has their point they are comfortable with.  There is always room for improvement but the question is how much is it worth to you?

May 8, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #38 of 92

Quote:

I usually punch those people.

Yeah, i bet you do
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
As for 'audiophile' grade stuff, it's like everything else.  There is always a point on a price/performance graph where diminishing returns comes into play.  Everyone has their point they are comfortable with.  There is always room for improvement but the question is how much is it worth to you?

"Audiophile" is a marketing term.

May 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #39 of 92

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Why am I always away from the computer when all the good stuff is going on?

Would I spend $800 for a DAP? Not likely at the moment, perhaps if it was leagues and bounds above any other player sound signature wise (good expression Rockford, after all people`s preferences are subjective), but then it would have to be at least 64GB SSD, preferably 128GB. I wouldn`t mind a big, ugly, bulky DAP either. I loved my first Nomad Jukebox 3 and only gave it away and got a Creative Zen Touch because I needed more space.

Can`t say that my current players are disappointing sound wise, otherwise I would not keep them. They all perfectly well fill their purpose of providing music on the go.

To each his own, I say. I even accept all the people walking around with iPod nano and white apple buds in their ears. I might not like it, but I accept it...

Well said, i didn't touch on size of the sflo/hifiman which are both large deterrents as well as i only use daps on the go and speakers at home. People can differ is so many aspects of what they need from their audio equipment indeed.

May 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 92

Quote:
I know jerking off with sand paper isn't a good idea, doesn't mean i have to try it to know for a fact. Same reason i wouldn't waste $800 on DAP with 8 hours of battery life, junk fw without gapless!, junk build quality, and noticeable and treble roll off.

Enjoy your over price brick.

Again posting without a REAL opinion. 

I'm quite interested in hearing the S:Flo2.   Looking forward to checking one out at the upcoming CanJam, and there will likely be several there.

I have both the Clip+ and the HM-801, and the HM-801 has significantly better sound quality than the Clip+ with my set up.  But for sheer convenience in it's absurdly tiny size, ease of use out of the box, and bang for the buck (I got mine for around $50) the Clip+ is the best bang for the buck portable out there I've ever tried.

BUT.

The OP was asking for HifiMan HM-801 quality without the built in amp.  Honestly, it's not just the built in amp that makes it so large and expensive, it's a combination of things that make it large and expensive.  The two DAC chips alone cost more than a Sansa Clip+, if you were to just buy them yourself.

If I were to remake the HifiMan, let's say the HifiMan HM-802 or 901, 701, etc.  I'd lose the SPDIF input, have USB straight to I2S instead.  Lose the modular Amp bay, and go with licensing HeadAmp's Pico Slim's amplifier for use in it.

That and sexier styling, but that's the Industrial Designer in me.

Either way, just go and buy a Sansa Clip+.  It's so cheap and convenient.  Even the stock firmware works great out of the box, plays just about every audio format, even FLAC.  It's even better with Rockbox.  Will make for a great back up player in the future if you pony up for a bigger and better one later.

-Ed

May 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #42 of 92
Rockford, as much as I generally applaud freely expressing one's opinions, in order to have a conversation you need to listen as well as speak :).

Honestly, my experience with the Clip+ was subpar (but then again, portable audio is really quite silly in my opinion).  I listened to it using relatively inefficient orthos/planars so it's low current output was relatively obvious.  And rockbox is really overrated (I still think that it's a great project), but it's just a UI; doesn't really change the specifications of the device at all. 

May 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #43 of 92

Quote:

So after that long winded posturing we get to the correct answer :). Thank you Eddie 'ol chap.

You can try and quote me out of context, but yeah, that's more or less the gist of my post.  The OP can't afford the HifiMan HM-801.  So the real answer is save money and perhaps buy the HifiMan HM-801 later on when you can afford it or wait for a potential successor (From Head-Direct or anywhere else)  that meets his criteria. 

In the meantime, the Clip+ is so affordable, you might as well get one as a back up.  Also for highly mobile use.  The HM-801 is way too large to conveniently go mountain climbing, sky diving, or other sports activities.  Although I see people run with portable CD players all the time, LOL.  Makes the HM-801 look very  very convenient in comparison.

May 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #44 of 92
Quote:
Rockford, as much as I generally applaud freely expressing one's opinions, in order to have a conversation you need to listen as well as speak 
beerchug.gif
:).

Honestly, my experience with the Clip+ was subpar (but then again, portable audio is really quite silly in my opinion).  I listened to it using relatively inefficient orthos/planars so it's low current output was relatively obvious.  And rockbox is really overrated (I still think that it's a great project), but it's just a UI; doesn't really change the specifications of the device at all. 

LOL, yeah, the internal amplification of the Clip+ is not even close to capably driving magneplanars. 

Rockbox is not really night and day difference with the Clip+ since the stock firmware is very good to begin with, and plays just about about every audio format out of the box.  But it's folder browsing leaves much to be desired, so that's a good reason to switch for those that like to browse folders rather than playlists or by albums, artists, etc.

-Ed

May 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 92

Quote:
Rockford, as much as I generally applaud freely expressing one's opinions, in order to have a conversation you need to listen as well as speak :).

Oh i was just joking in that previous post, i should have added more smilies i guess hehe.

You are entitled to your opinion as far as rockbox is concerned but i can tell you did not use it much as tweaking the xfeed and EQ offers the best sound modifications of any dap firmware on the market, and they do make a noticeable difference when tweaking the player to your preferred  sound signature.

But then again you didn't specify what you are comparing the clip+ to when you speak of it being sub par. Using inefficient phones on any non amp'd dap is going to sound subpar, so i fail to see the validity to your testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back