Documentaries?
Aug 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider Okie Noodling a must see. It even prompted me to try hand fishing for catfish. Let's just say that'll never happen again.

sounds like details are needed
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 21
Oh nothing too crazy. A bud and I hit a hole ooutisde Kingisher, Oklahoma, real small town America. Anyway, we spent a hour scouring the bed in about 4-5 feet of murky water, real red dirt Okie water. So I stuck my hand in one hole and something swallowed my hand and bit the crap out of my forearm. I was submerged at the time of course and have never felt so disorientated. The pain sent me spinning under the surface for what felt like an eternity. Finally I surfaced with blood gushing about two inches above the wrist. I still have a scar on my left knuckle as a reminder.

It scared the bejesus out of me, so I decided to leave it to the good ole boys from then on.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 21
A lot of great recommendations, keep them coming!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richard Dawkins' The Enemies of Reason is a great documentary and an interesting look into the world of pseudoscience.

Saw it and loved it, so I'll double that recommendation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am a big brian cox fan also OP (see my profile)
wink.gif
, really enjoyed the horizon space/time documentaries he did...

Wow, must be cool working at CERN. Hopefully I'll be in your position someday. I'm looking to go to school for physics in about a year.
smile.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #19 of 21
I LOVE documentaries! That's all I use my Netflix streams for. I don't really have a focus in what I watch, just whatever looks interesting.

Hoop Dreams is great. Follows two young inner city boys from as early as 5th grade into their college years. Paints a very intimate portrait of inner city urban life and how basketball is seen as a way out of poverty.

I really liked Michael Wood's documentary on Troy and a later series he did called "In Search of Myths and Heroes." "Empires: The Medici" was a great series too. I never though I'd want to watch 4 hours of Medici history but the documentary was well shot and had a great narrative.

David Attenborough has GREAT nature documentaries. I haven't watched a single one I've disliked. "The Life of Mammals" was especially good. I'm a fan of Survivorman as well. Anyone know when season 3 is coming out?

Cocaine Cowboys was good, which follows the drug trade in Florida. Do NOT watch the sequel, Cocaine Cowboys 2. That lacked any sort of depth and substance, pretty much a big waste of time.

I don't watch many musical documentaries but I'm currently finishing "Music Instinct: Science and Song." The first hour is very interesting, the latter 50 minutes not so much. I've got about 20 minutes left on it.
"Heavy Metal in Baghdad" was really good. The doc follows the lives of a few metal band members in Iraq and the pains they go through just to put on a show. Also a good depiction of every day life following the US invasion.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 21
2 recomendations

"Lucky people center international" and "1 Giant leap"

both are music based,don´t know if I can call them documentarys att all, but they are very good
smily_headphones1.gif

defenitly whort watching..
xcuse my horrible spelling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back