Doctor Who
Nov 9, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Of course, you're not old enough to remember the UBER cool Patrick Troughton and have to slum it watching these modern comedians bastardise a, once, truly magical series. Where's KG? I'd like his opinion on Doctors past and present.

I attribute that to the fact that they were probably better trained actors than today's crop...

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I like tennant more than eccleston, but they both do a fair job.

Tennant has a better character developed to work with. Mind you I hated having him replace the/my first doctor who I thought was fantastic, but Tennant grew on me as well.

He has a much darker, scarier more capable let's say, character to Eccleston's(is that spelling right?) doctor.

Both good.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Of course, you're not old enough to remember the UBER cool Patrick Troughton and have to slum it watching these modern comedians bastardise a, once, truly magical series. Where's KG? I'd like his opinion on Doctors past and present.

Of course, you are very possibly correct. Who could ever outdo the foreboding and menace of episodes like "Tomb of the Cybermen"? Troughton kept the series intense while adding that wry twist of humor. I'm sad that I couldn't experience him first hand, but only through what remains of his Doctor on tape and DVD.

A_Sr.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Captain Jack fan here, but I liked him better in Dr. Who as carefree time traveller. They gotta put a bit more humour in Torchwood.

I'm sad to hear that. I've really been looking forward to Torchwood, but without a good dose of arch humor, I don't know, it just won't seem like Captain Jack.

Does Torchwood take place during his missing two years?

Team Harriet Jones for Prime Minister

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 30
Just watched the end of series 2... so sad.
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

I've been watching the "new" Doctor Who series (with eccleston/tennant as the doctor), I really like it. I didn't know much about it til the sci-fi channel brought it over, but after watching the two seasons, I'm addicted. I haven't seen the older serials yet, but I may.

What do you guys think about the show/characters?

Tom Baker is still the only DR Who IMO.. I loved that show as a kid.. Started Watching it in 80, & couldn't wait for the next episode to come on..

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Just watched the end of series 2... so sad.
frown.gif

Incredibly sad. Looking forward to the Christmas special. My ReplayTV paid for itself by allowing me to watch the episodes hours after they aired in England. I'm also glad that SciFi picked it up here in the states. My favorite is Tom Baker. I remember discovering it on PBS in Chicago after school back in the 70's. The local PBS station here is running throught the entire Baker series right now.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 30
I can't believe everybody loves the new series so much, though I suppose it's good that people like it. I watched season 1 of the new "Doctor Who" series and was underwhelmed, to say the least. Weak acting, weaker dialogue, even weaker plot, and irritating moralizing on cliche themes. A great disservice to the original series in my view.

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 30
Anyone catch the Xmas Special? Thought it was alright, but it felt good to have a new dose of the doctor. Can't wait til the new season starts. (Btw, does anyone the exact date?)

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe everybody loves the new series so much, though I suppose it's good that people like it. I watched season 1 of the new "Doctor Who" series and was underwhelmed, to say the least. Weak acting, weaker dialogue, even weaker plot, and irritating moralizing on cliche themes. A great disservice to the original series in my view.

I could not agree more with respect to season 2, season 1 wasnt quite as bad but was still pretty weak in the ways you have mentioned, very sad especially as both Tennant and Ecclestone can act when they choose to try, I would tend to blame the direction far too "emotive" for my tastes.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone catch the Xmas Special? Thought it was alright, but it felt good to have a new dose of the doctor. Can't wait til the new season starts. (Btw, does anyone the exact date?)

I liked last years Christmas episode better. They showed last years on Dutch tv while the new episode was on the bbc. That was annoying. Had to choose which to tape.
(No, I don't.)

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom Baker is still the only DR Who IMO.. I loved that show as a kid.. Started Watching it in 80, & couldn't wait for the next episode to come on..

Totally agree!
dr4open.jpg

drwho2.gif

I miss Doctor Who, so I watch the new Doctor, but it's a totally different interpretation, and not up to the original series' story lines.

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #29 of 30
I grew up watching Pertwee and Tom Baker and really enjoyed it. I watched the later ones too, but gave up before Sylvester. Now my kids are really into the new version. It's a different thing altogether. They have reasonable effects and pack a whole story into one, or sometimes two episodes instead of spreading it over however many half hours we used to get. As a result it's all very fast-paced as is most popular TV these days.

I see the old Doctor Who series get re-run on BBC4, but haven't been watching them. I'm sure they will not be as good as I remember them. We have got some freebie DVDs with an episode each from the old doctors. Some of it is very slow paced. The kids were not that excited by them.

I've watched some of Torchwood, but it's not essential. I'll watch it if it's on and I have some free time. All this stuff is being endlessly repeated on the BBC channels.

We also had the new Sarah Jane Smith show this week. That's definitely kids' TV material.

As a Brit I'm happy to see well produced, prime time, home-produced content on our screens. There's plenty of good US stuff too, but it would be sad if that was all we saw.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 30
I think Tom Baker really defines what Dr Who is about: well written and campy Sci-Fi that masks the shoestring budget the BBC has. I guess I'm a bit more partial to him to since he was the first Dr I saw on re-runs on my local PBS. That long scarf and offering jelly babies only added to his comedy! Comedy that seems somewhat lacking in the new Dr Who.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back