Do your pets like the music?
Jun 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

xnothingpoetic

Headphoneus Supremus
When I listen to music through the speakers I usually try to read my dogs reaction to it. As far as I can tell, she is indifferent to the music. She won’t try and lie down in the center and listen—her ears aren’t even perked up during the tunes, but she also wont and try to avoid it. She acts almost as if there is no music being played.

How about your pets? Do they seem to enjoy the music?

I’m going to try and play a wide variety of music next time and see if I can’t find something to my dogs liking.
I think everyone should be able to enjoy music because it has such an amazing effect on us.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listen to music through the speakers, I usually try to read my dogs reaction to it. As far as I can tell, she is indifferent to the music. She won’t try and lie down in the center and listen—her ears aren’t even perked up during the tunes, but she also wont and try to avoid it. She acts almost as if there is no music being played.

How about your pets? Do they seem to enjoy the music?

I’m going to try and play a wide variety of music next time and see if I can’t find something of my dogs liking.

My pets seem to react to the volume rather than to the presence of music or its absence, or to the genre of the music. If I play music too loud my dog is gone no matter what I'm playing. The cats appear to be oblivious. If I play music at a moderate level (which is most of the time...) all of my pets seem to go about their routine with no detectable difference. They do however react to sounds on TV/Video like animal noises or doorbells. I was playing a song in the car yesterday and I would have sworn that my dog Meisje started to wag her tail in time with the music!
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 26
Yes, one of our cats seems to enjoy jazz. She will come to the door of my listening room (no pets allowed inside) and lie down whenever I am listening to jazz on my loudspeakers. If I am playing any other kind of music she is nowhere to be found.

She has a particular fondness for Ben Webster, it would seem.
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 26
my dog used to sing along when I played piano
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 26
If I'm listening in my room (speakers) my cat will run up and join me, sitting on the bed mostly. I think because she likes being in my room with me and takes the music as a sign that I'm there more than anything.

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 26
My dog likes to chill to classical. Probably because as a pup we always kept the classical FM station turned on to keep her from feeling alone. She is very alert to sound effects on TV and in Movies, but as a whole doesn't pay much attention to them. She will however come and sit with me if I am playing music and long as it is not too loud.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 26
My dog loves music. He seems more relaxed when there's music playing.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 26
I am disappointed in the lack of Keyboard Cat references in this thread.

My cats don't seem to give a damn about the music. Though it does have an indirect effect. Critters pick up on their owners' emotions, so if I'm really relaxed and in a good mood, they tend to be, too. They think a human stretched out with headphones on is a pretty good place for a nap, though also an indication that the human is probably not going to want to get up to serve food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back