Do you use weighting "A" or "C" on your ratshack SPL meter?
Jul 19, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #16 of 21
I don't know what Headfiers use an spl meter for, but I used mine to integrate my subwoofer with my other speakers. Also used it to EQ my subwoofer with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer.

Anyway, what i need to be able to do is measure the SPL at various frequencies using sine waves. If you do this you would want to use C weighting and use correction values for the lower frequencies <100 hz since the meter is not accurate below 100 hz. The correction increases as you get down low - much like your ears have a hard time hear these frequencies. I don't know what the latest correction factors are though. You'll have to do a search. Now I use a flatter microphone (ECM8000) with my DEQ2496.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #17 of 21
I use C with slow setting to measure listening levels, but I would be interested to hear more feedback on this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what Headfiers use an spl meter for, but I used mine to integrate my subwoofer with my other speakers. Also used it to EQ my subwoofer with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer.

Anyway, what i need to be able to do is measure the SPL at various frequencies using sine waves. If you do this you would want to use C weighting and use correction values for the lower frequencies <100 hz since the meter is not accurate below 100 hz. The correction increases as you get down low - much like your ears have a hard time hear these frequencies. I don't know what the latest correction factors are though. You'll have to do a search. Now I use a flatter microphone (ECM8000) with my DEQ2496.

I use it to determine what my listening levels are.

Here's a post that shows how I measure an IEM. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...62#post2863062

Here's the post by Skylab that shows how to measure a full sized headphone.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...5&postcount=42

I've seen a few posts with home made frequency response graphs that mention the plate method, which is probably Skylab's method, although I've never asked for confirmation.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back