Do you use weighting "A" or "C" on your ratshack SPL meter?
Jul 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 21
"A" weighting for measuring how loud music is, no weighting for measuring frequency response. I never use "C" weighting.

Edit: My meter isn't from ratshack

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 21
You should use C for music! "A" is for constant one tone sounds (factories and what not). C measures a wider range of frequencies. You also should set it to fast.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one is the default weighting? I've not bothered changing it.

Default weighing is C. I'm curious, as setting the weighting to A drops my dB measurements about ~5dB.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Default weighing is C. I'm curious, as setting the weighting to A drops my dB measurements about ~5dB.

"A" cuts off the extreme highs and lows.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 21
While searching for "cheap SPL meter" in Google, I came across this piece of information:
Quote:

A-weight SPL is for gerneral purpose measured at human ears most sensitive range: 500 - 10,000Hz.

But for HiFi audio, C-weighting should be used: 32-10,000Hz.

Also, fast reading is "typically 0.2 sec per reading revision" and slow reading is "typically 0.5 sec per reading revision"

Source

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 21
As I understand it you would use C-weight for frequency response measurement (i.e., how loud it actually is) vs A-weight for measuring how loud something sounds to the human ear. For anything music related use c-weight. Also make sure you have the correction values for low freq. when using the Ratshack meter.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also make sure you have the correction values for low freq. when using the Ratshack meter.

What do you mean by this?

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I understand it you would use C-weight for frequency response measurement (i.e., how loud it actually is) vs A-weight for measuring how loud something sounds to the human ear. For anything music related use c-weight. Also make sure you have the correction values for low freq. when using the Ratshack meter.

I'm curious as well..."correction values for low frequency"?

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 21
These correction values are needed to correct the frequency response of the meter just as headphones/speakers are not flat. I believe the Rat Shack meter starts to roll of around 60Hz and is something around 7-10Hz too low at 20 Hz if I remember correctly. I don't know a particular site off the top of my head that has it but a quick Google should get you something, maybe a web site for a HT set up disc.

Also, A weighting is often useful if you want to measure the spl of the human voice since its frequency response rolls off frequencys the human voice usually doesn't reach but C should be used for any audio calibration (was referring to C above). Hope that helps a bit. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back