Do you use UNCUT tri-flanges?
Aug 1, 2005 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ubijza

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.
I am a very satisfied Shure E4 user (good synergy with my Sony DNE920 PCDP). In the quiet surroundings I LOVE the sound of ultra soft sleeves - they really DO sound best IMO, but on the go I have to revert to foams which sound very nearly as good (slightly less transparent) but provide decent isolation. Decent, but not as good (isolation) as my E2c with large foams...
So I'd like to try the triflanges to increase the noise isolation, but I don't have any experience with them (as i say my previous IEM was e2c).

I've done a search on this forum and most posters talk about triflanges cut to bi-flanges, which to me sounds like a decrease in isolation. Uncut though they do look long and I'm afraid of damaging something in my ear canal...

SO... Does anybody here uses full, uncut tri-flanges (Shure/Ety - does not matter) and could you share some of your "know how": insertion tricks/tips, comfort etc.

Many thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 17
me! me! im using my old ER4s tri flanges on my E4 now. Good seal, comfort and isolation.

I dont have any special techniques though, i just stick 'em lil buggers in.
icon10.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the reply!

How deep do you insert them?(when I use the foams with the E4, I insert the phones so that the cold metal bit is touching the ear... )
How do they sound?
How's the comfort and for how long can you bear them inside your canals?

Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 17
I use my Ety triflanges uncut. Just use your left hand to lift up your right ear, and insert the headphone in that way, and vice versa with the other ear. Just like the Ety manual shows. With this technique I can insert both earpieces in about 5 seconds.

Aug 1, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Me too with ER-4S. I just twist them in carefully and have no comfort issues. Why don't you just get some & try whether you like them? Before you damage your eardrum it *will* start to hurt
wink.gif
but usually you should not be able to reach the eardrum with the flange anyway. Should you experience discomfort you can still try & cut them.

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
I can never get a good seal with my left ear
mad.gif

Do you have different sizes to try out? It is normal to have non-identical ears/canals. I use different sized tips on my Apple In-Ears.

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 17
I have some Shure E3cs at work and have been using the triple flanges uncut for a couple of months now. They give a pretty good seal. I usually try to left the top inside of part of my ear with fingers on one hand and insert flanges with the other hand. There's like a ridge in your ear right above the ear canal the I pull up on first, then insert. Them babies slide right in.

Aug 1, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 17
When I first got my shure e4c, I just can not put tri-flanges into my ears, so I had to mod it to bi-flange. However, after 3 weeks of using them, I ordered another pair of tri-flange, and this time, I did not modify them at all, and they fit.

I guess I am just getting better at it. However, my right ear lose seal with the tri-flange very easily (very annoy).

Anyway, my suggestion is that you order few more pairs, and try to modify it in a way that it sits comfortablely in your ears.

There is no general 100% working tips as how to place them because everyone's ear canals are different, and I think it comes down to practice.

As for isolation, if you can get good seals with bi-flange or tri-flange, tri-flange wins.

Aug 2, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 17
OK, many thanks guys!!
I'm gonna try them...
etysmile.gif

Just to continue with this topic: do you find that these long triflanges push earwax far deeper than other much shorter sleeves (foamies etc)... is this a (big) problem?

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Do you have different sizes to try out? It is normal to have non-identical ears/canals. I use different sized tips on my Apple In-Ears.

Whoa! there's differant sizes? I just bought a batch of Etymotic Triflange sleeves. I'm not sure if there differant sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back