Do you use an Equalizer?
Jan 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #46 of 80
Quote:
Clipping is easily audible when it occurs.

I  disagree. There are few clipping that doesn't harm too much sound, especially on occasional peaks.
I've done a google search and found an article,  and this quote:
"if only the transient peaks are clipped, the clipping only occurs for a very short period of time, and is not very noticeable."
http://kimlajoie.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/limiting-vs-clipping/

Anyways I've done some experiment with dsp, and I know that you don't necessarily hear all kind of clipping, and using limiters might sound worse than hard clipping.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #48 of 80
Quote:
My setup sounds fantastic, with no clipping.

DSP  can induce clipping, it has nothing to do with your setup. If you boost a particular frequency , there's no warranty that the signal won't clip, unless there's enough headroom.
Most people doing a mastering job, are working with something like a 6 db headrom to avoid clipping problems, and again this has nothing to do with your setup, it happens at the digital level.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #50 of 80
Quote:
Heya,

Every time. They see me equalizing. They hate'n.

I'm actually shopping for a high quality hardware equalizer in the 16~30 band area. Hard to find one that is high quality, not noisy and messy and low grade, that would work with headphones and not just meant for outdoor speaker ensembles. One day! I am actually a little nostalgic of old stereos that I had growing up that had equalizer bars on the front, stock. They don't exist these days, they assume you have it under control digitally now. I want the bands back with knobs and buttons to turn and push.

Why? Because no headphone and no speaker setup is perfect stock for my taste.

Very best,

I have access to a bunch of pro audio 31 band EQs. One I use a lot (not really for headphones but for pro audio) is a BSS opal

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #51 of 80
Quote:
, and using limiters might sound worse than hard clipping.

I agree, if you overdo EQ and set limiters on auto, those volume dips on bass impact are annoying as sh!t.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #52 of 80
According to some article (from 2011), the top "analog eq" , that are emulation of actual hardware:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/10-great-analogue-style-eq-vst-plug-ins-488553/1

Unfortunately, spl passeq is not on the list, but you get the idea: there are are lot of high end hardware eq,
available in a "software" version.

From what I've read, emulations of hardware eq  can be reliable, and you don't need to spend lot of money in hardware eq.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #53 of 80
Ok I think I just reached final stage of EQ'ing my S600, the end result is pretty amazing I should say. Clarity is improved by a great amount, better soundstage (digital level stereox, this have direct impact on treble as well) no annoying higher-mids distortion, no recessed mids, nice trebble, and subbass... With even bigger, MUCH bigger impact. "flat bassy setup" should I say, lol. When switching EQ off-on it's like switching between $50 and $150 HP's.
Will post my settings later, if someone is interested.

PS. The trick is, when EQ'ing, to always save your progress presets, even after relatively small changes, so when you will fcuk it up (trust me, you will), you don't have to start all over again. I have like 10 of them.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #57 of 80
For tonight, with the JVC HA-S500....

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #58 of 80
Dubstep & Electro House : +10 @ 100Hz
+10 @300Hz
-10 @ 1Khz
-10 @ 3Khz
-10 @ 10Khz
Classical :
+3 @ 100Hz
-1 @ 300Hz
-2 @ 1Khz
+2 @ 3Khz
+5 @ 10Khz
Anything else is un-equalized but i only listen to other genres sometimes :)

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #60 of 80
Quote:
what app is this?
redface.gif

It is the original JetAudio app, which only very briefly was available with the BBE enhancements most famous for their use on Cowon players. Soon after it entered the Google Play store, BBE pulled the plug on the use of the enhancement on the JetAudio app, presumably because they were going to be  bringing their own SonicMax Pro BBE app to market.

Fortunately for me, after that happened, someone sent me the .apk of the original app, so it lives on in my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back