Do you use an Equalizer?
Jan 30, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 80
I used to try software EQ, but it always give me an impression of some distortion which I don't like. Only when my EQing is minimal, I don't hear the distortion, but at the same time, it doesn't give me much difference in sound as it's minimal. Am I doing something wrong?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #17 of 80
Quote:
I tried many many eq (vst): equality, equick, fab filter pro q , lp 10, psp neon hr.
The last one I've adopted is spl passeq, I get decent results with my hd800.
But I guess my eq quest has not ended.

Would u mind posting your current EQ settings for dat HD800?

I used to try software EQ, but it always give me an impression of some distortion which I don't like. Only when my EQing is minimal, I don't hear the distortion, but at the same time, it doesn't give me much difference in sound as it's minimal. Am I doing something wrong?

Unless you tried physical EQ, I will say distortion is caused by headphones not being able to reproduce particular frequency (quite common if you are boosting muffled 2k+ tone), try one step higher/lower frequencies, or if it's 4-8k, just boost highs on 16K and see how you'll like it.

BTW, in poll 3rd option seems a bit useless as it is misleading and gives no real info... yes and no would be enough.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #18 of 80
Quote:

Unless you tried physical EQ, I will say distortion is caused by headphones not being able to reproduce particular frequency (quite common if you are boosting muffled 2k+ tone), try one step higher/lower frequencies, or if it's 4-8k, just boost highs on 16K and see how you'll like it.

Let's say if I want to boost 4-8k by +2.5dB, how much should I raise the 16k freq?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 80
Just try and you'll see 
L3000.gif

Every HP is different and responds differently, not to mention a big variety of software and DAC's.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #21 of 80
I believe most hardware analog EQs add THD. Whereas the THD added in digital one's is way below audible levels.

Some people like this, which is why electri-q has a mode where it uses an algorithm based on an analog circuit to provide warmth. Probably not quite the same though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #22 of 80
Just tried to switch off EQ on S600 and it sounded totally like a joke! 
LOL 
biggrin.gif

EQ can really make a heck of a difference...
I think people could greatly benefit from some factory built-in EQ to HP hidden in the cans which also would be an amp (possibly with couple of presets controlled by a simple button/switch), are such a HP's even exist?? I mean, if we have active noise cancelling, somewhere should be something similiar already.... Why do we have to carry around all this extra stuff (poor Mal) just to enjoy our music?  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #23 of 80
Yes sure. Depending on the music, I will sometimes EQ for fun sound.

In gaming I usually EQ down the bass on my 2012 edition MMX 300 600Ohm. Not that its too much, but I just don't like it for FPS multiplayer.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #24 of 80
An interesting experiment would be to get ones ears measured and then program a DSP unit to EQ to the ear test result at different frequencies and levels.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #25 of 80
Quote:
LOL 
biggrin.gif

I think people could greatly benefit from some factory built-in EQ to HP hidden in the cans which also would be an amp (possibly with couple of presets controlled by a simple button/switch), are such a HP's even exist?? I mean, if we have active noise cancelling, somewhere should be something similiar already.... Why do we have to carry around all this extra stuff (poor Mal) just to enjoy our music?  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I don't think that would be a bad idea, it could help deal with some unwanted and uncontrollable spikes in the hardware and even make a headphone neutral stock, but I have a feeling they'd be shunned by the audiophile community for "cheating".

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

Here are my current settings , with spl passeq . Second channel is linked, and hence automatically with same settings no need to
show it.

Using the vst plugin Analyser , from christian w budde (free) I get this curve:

Notice that the  full eq curve is below zero, to avoid any clipping.
In order to do that I  can use either the volume knob of spl passeq,
or decrease volume before in a dsp chain.

I  use the spl passeq vst inside "ART Teknika Console",  that's more convenient.

Here on this dsp chain, I  decrease volume of 3db, using a free vst, before applying spl passeq.

And the "ART Teknika Console" allow to access values , using sliders, instead of the knob of the regular interface:

Notice that I  use spl passeq version 1.1.1 , as the most recent version are more cpu heavy, and change almost nothing to processing.

And concerning the hardware eq vst  VS. software eq, according to spl marketing , their implementation is very close to the real hardware.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #27 of 80
Quote:
LOL 
biggrin.gif

Now you know why I say the S500 is so much better....
tongue.gif
 You can get great sound from S600 but EQ is required.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #28 of 80
You are here already! Jeez... 
Your avatar says it all.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #29 of 80
Quote:
You are here already! Jeez... 
Your avatar says it all.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Just for the record, I voted "Sometimes" in the poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back