Do you think wearing full-size headphones in public makes you look like a spaz/geek/weirdo?
May 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #137 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In England, you will rarely see people wearing full-sized headphones. In Japan, especially Tokyo pretty much everybody on the street and underground trains who are listening to music all have full-sized cans.

It's probably a contrast of both what the culture perceives to be cool, and also the difference in crime. I would never wear good looking cans in London, especially not on the tube. On Japan, where I just came back after a 3 week trip from, I would happily wear them

+1

Sorry if i have repost this, haven't had time to go through every single post. But what is consider full size headphone? Would Denon D2000 be one of them? Because i have seen quite a lot of people wearing similiar to the size of D2000. I wouldn't say it is weird, because they have stylish clothing to go with it, it just fit in perfectly.
Still remember few years ago, i was in Japan, i saw a gentleman in the subway, probably just getting off work, with full suits and a huge cans, that's a little weird, but i respect him, he just love his music
biggrin.gif

And i totally agree with you starscream, seems to me nothing is weird in Japan, which i am in love with the culture
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #138 of 270
I think it looks awesome, but on some people it is obviously a fashion accessory. Not meaning to sound racist, but ive seen plenty of black blokes wearing the senn 457s or415s, whichever one was in that madonna music video off her last album 'confessions on a dancefloor'.

I won't wear my grado's out in london again, as it's pointless on the tube, especially the silly central line which damages your hearing through the horrific wheel/rail interface.

HD-25s for me this winter as they would be suicide this summer with those leather pads. IEMs until I get them, and HF-1s at home. And god do my HF-1s sound amazing through the Millett MAX, been whoring up my speakers for the last month or so with the new amp that I forgot about my head-fi-ness
icon10.gif

May 19, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #140 of 270
I would think some with lower profile like the Grados or the Ultrasone's wouldn't be a big deal. I'm in Texas where nothing is subtle, so other than a few questions, I don't think anyone would care.

May 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #141 of 270
I have no problem with full sized cans in public.

Although the public might not like it
tongue.gif

I took my woody grados out biking today (because I learned the ETY's are dangerous in the city
wink.gif
)

Well SQ was great, but every so often a passing biker would give me that "What?" look.

May 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #142 of 270
I have ventured out with my:

Creative Zen Vision M:30 -> AudioQuest mini-RCA -> Anaconda RCA 1M -> Grado RA1 -> Grado GS-1000's....

I felt a little obvious, but good tunes can distract you from that.

Be BOLD with your BIG cans.....

Cheers,

May 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #143 of 270
Oh BTW - I did vote Yes to being a SPAZ/GEEK/WEIRDO ... etc...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #144 of 270
What is "in public"?

I wouldn't think it would be weird to take out and use my DT770's in a place like a public library, or on a plane or on a bus.

I wouldn't take my dog for a walk with my DT770's on, or anything like that.

So it sort of depends on context I suppose, or what you mean by "in public".

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #146 of 270
As long as the headphones are suitable for use in public (isolation, leakage etc) I've got no problem with that. But then again, I've got a pretty big head, so full-sized headphones might not look to be full-sized in the eyes of the beholders...

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #147 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<--------------- HA HA HA

I really think even Grados is weird. I would think that if you regular commute was on a bus or train then .... not so weird, but if you walking or working in the yard then yes.

lol lol lol lol

Is that your picture really? That when you skiing right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back