Do you think wearing full-size headphones in public makes you look like a spaz/geek/weirdo?
May 5, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #121 of 270
I do it all the time... I'm married, so who do I have to impress.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #123 of 270
I'm always impressed by the outcast in the herd when I see someone on the commuter train wearing their ER-4's. That tells me they are discriminating audiophiles. Mr. "*sneer* It's not an iPod, it's a minidisc"...I'm assuming you are not in the position of being approached by/spoken to by female strangers? Lol...

May 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #125 of 270
No more so than I do otherwise.
Seriously, I usually use my PX 100s when I leave the house. I think it has more to do with cost and convenience than anything. I can easily replace them with lunch money if they get lost or broken and they fold up into very convenient little package.

May 6, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #129 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr. "*sneer* It's not an iPod, it's a minidisc"...I'm assuming you are not in the position of being approached by/spoken to by female strangers?

Hahaha. Some people just don't catch on to flirting...

May 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #130 of 270
I remember back in the day (c 1992) reading in Stereophile about he SR60, how good they sounded, and the reviewer using them in the gym, while working out.

Thought What!!!!! SR60's for workin' out?!?! PA-LEEEEZ!!!

Fast-forward 16 years (from my 20's to 40's) and now it's like, "Hmmm. Maybe."

In another 10 to 20 years, they just might be the perfect work-out cans.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #131 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the sociability thing fascinating.

If i was to wear my HD535's at my desk my colleagues would assume I was being antisocial and intentionally cutting myself off from what was going on around me. I would be able to hear phones ring etc and hear parts of conversations.

When I put my EP-630's in then I dont notice any of the conversations going on around me, and frequently miss the phone ringing, but my colleagues appreciate the fact that I am staying involved in office life by only wearing discreet, small headphones.

Go figure!

Simon

I noticed that but for me..i prefer Pure Music over humans gossiping.

Hey Tight competition..

144 say yes,
138 say NO.

May 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #132 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think walking around in public with cans on your head is weird.

since i started using my HD205's in public... i have started attracting chicks..both outside & inside my college.

So Weirdness is Cool

May 8, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #133 of 270
before i joined head fi and discovered the quality products out there i would see people wearing hefty headphones out and about and i would think...DAMNNNNN! SON.

but now, after discovering how many quality headphones there are and how much of a difference they make, when i see people out and about wearing them i look, usually very closely to find out what model they have and when i find out its a nice set of cans i nod in appreciation and wish i was that brave to look a fool.
biggrin.gif

so yeh i voted theres nothing strange about it if your brave enough to be laughed at by those poor soles wearing ibuds! thinking god hes a nut job wearing those heft cans.

May 8, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #134 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before i joined head fi and discovered the quality products out there i would see people wearing hefty headphones out and about and i would think...DAMNNNNN! SON.

but now, after discovering how many quality headphones there are and how much of a difference they make, when i see people out and about wearing them i look, usually very closely to find out what model they have and when i find out its a nice set of cans i nod in appreciation and wish i was that brave to look a fool.
biggrin.gif

so yeh i voted theres nothing strange about it if your brave enough to be laughed at by those poor soles wearing ibuds! thinking god hes a nut job wearing those heft cans.

Well, that's why I have a pair of UE-11's - I can't hear their comments regardless....
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #135 of 270
In England, you will rarely see people wearing full-sized headphones. In Japan, especially Tokyo pretty much everybody on the street and underground trains who are listening to music all have full-sized cans.

It's probably a contrast of both what the culture perceives to be cool, and also the difference in crime. I would never wear good looking cans in London, especially not on the tube. On Japan, where I just came back after a 3 week trip from, I would happily wear them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back