Do you think wearing full-size headphones in public makes you look like a spaz/geek/weirdo?
May 1, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #106 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people who sneer at full size cans are the same drooling twits who choose a restaurant because some celebrity was seen there. These are the same folks who choose a car because it has lots of cup holders and snappy chrome trim. They don't care about sound. They are not worth a moment's consideration.

A couple years ago, I was sitting in a bar, listening to my RH1. A vacant-eyed yuppie (is there any other kind?) wobbled up to me and asked, "What are you listening to on your iPod?'

"It's not an iPod," I replied. "It's a minidisc player."

"You know what I mean!" she snarled.

"Of course I do," I replied. "But you don't have the slightest idea of what I mean."

This so confused her that she started to say something, stopped in mid-syllable, and wobbled back to the other end of the bar.

Elitism generally isn't very productive.

May 1, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #107 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elitism generally isn't very productive.

I'm not an elitist. If bad sounding equipment makes people happy, I say more power to them.

But I respond when someone speaks condescendingly to me because my equipment isn't herd-approved. Simple as that.

May 1, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #108 of 270
Quote:

I'm not an elitist. If bad sounding equipment makes people happy, I say more power to them.

But I respond when someone speaks condescendingly to me because my equipment isn't herd-approved. Simple as that.

But what you don't seem to get is that she didn't actually care at all about your equipment. She wanted to know something about you.

If the only people who will talk to you in bars are wobbly vacant yuppies, that's another issue entirely...

May 1, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #110 of 270
Quote:

The people who sneer at full size cans are the same drooling twits who choose a restaurant because some celebrity was seen there. These are the same folks who choose a car because it has lots of cup holders and snappy chrome trim. They don't care about sound. They are not worth a moment's consideration.

A couple years ago, I was sitting in a bar, listening to my RH1. A vacant-eyed yuppie (is there any other kind?) wobbled up to me and asked, "What are you listening to on your iPod?'

"It's not an iPod," I replied. "It's a minidisc player."

"You know what I mean!" she snarled.

"Of course I do," I replied. "But you don't have the slightest idea of what I mean."

This so confused her that she started to say something, stopped in mid-syllable, and wobbled back to the other end of the bar.

Well, the guilty one is Apple with its huge merchandising, it's not the girl's fault. She just started talking with you friendly, and you responded like an antisocial geek just because she doesn't know anything about hi-fi audio
smily_headphones1.gif

well of course thats just my opinion, and who cares.

May 1, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #112 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what you don't seem to get is that she didn't actually care at all about your equipment. She wanted to know something about you.

If the only people who will talk to you in bars are wobbly vacant yuppies, that's another issue entirely...

Edit: I keep forgetting my New Year's resolution about not taking the bait.

May 1, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #113 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hearing damage.

I'm afraid it may go deeper than that.
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #114 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why they invented the neck.

Still, you can't have headphones on your head or neck 100% of the time when you're out and about. You need to carry them in something at some point, and that's inconvenient.

May 1, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #115 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, you can't have headphones on your head or neck 100% of the time when you're out and about. You need to carry them in something at some point, and that's inconvenient.

When I'm out and about they are either on my head or around my neck...in what situation do you have to carry them in something?

May 1, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #116 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I'm out and about they are either on my head or around my neck...in what situation do you have to carry them in something?

Well I guess you are an exception but people that commute, people who travel, etc.

May 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #118 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I guess you are an exception but people that commute, people who travel, etc.

When I get where I'm going I lay my Grados on top of my laptop bag.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tried them out on the bus today- they performed better than I expected.

EDIT: though I'm dure the people around me got a somewhat bassless dose of Opeth on the trip.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #119 of 270
As many others have stated, I personally don't really care what others think. I try my best to not be judgemental of what others wear, how they act, what they look like, etc., and I kinda take that philosophy myself. If I look like a dork because I'm wearing some SR80s on my head instead of getting some crappy $5 Walmart earbuds just so I could look a little cooler, so be it.

Funny thing is one evening I was walking through our building wearing my SR80s. A guy who works in another department and I were crossing paths when he all of a sudden just stopped and looked at me. I stopped as well and he leaned to the side and looked at the side of my head. He gave me a half smile, a nod, and a thumbs up.

May 5, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #120 of 270
I think it depends on the overall look of the individual. If she/he is between 16-40 (+/- 10%
smily_headphones1.gif
) and at least little bit sympathetic person, I do not see anything weird about that (of course it depends on what does it mean "sympathetic").

Anyway, being dressed in my business suite and wearing my DT100 is, I think, not the right cup of tea. Wearing any smaller ones from my stash (e.g. DT770, K270, DT220), however, is OK. I like my music, I like to be isolated, I like when my ears do not freeze in the cold weather, so what's the matter?

Generally I can say, (almost) any guy with full-sized ones is quite interesting and (almost) any girl wearing them is moreover also more pretty (at least to my eyes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When they are not on my head or around my neck, they are in my bag. That's it.
wink.gif
They are there of course for ca. 10% of the time being out and about.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back