Do you think wearing full-size headphones in public makes you look like a spaz/geek/weirdo?
Apr 29, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 270
I personally would say... as long as it looks good, it'll look good (personal opinions apply)

I personally wouldnt wear floats or anything of that sort outside, cause yeah... its kinda ugly.

If i had to wear something like grado vs AKG, id pick AKG, just because i personally like their design better.

So id say its a matter of taste, in terms of how you feel and how you think people will feel (if you care)

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #34 of 270
I figure its up to the person thats wearing them. If they're comfortable with wearing them out then thats it.
I wear full size cos i've never found a pair of IEM's that fit my ears comfortably and sound right. I'm a geek anyway so I prefer functionality to how things look.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #35 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find nothing wrong with that. I were these outside all the time.

LOL Dmitriy. I used to use those Sigmas as portable headphones with the SRD-X amplifier. It made everybody want to be my friend (and sometimes more), and was so successful I don't even need them anymore!

Hopefully I did not use up the mojo juice in them and they will still work this good for you too!
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #36 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL Dmitriy. I used to use those Sigmas as portable headphones with the SRD-X amplifier. It made everybody want to be my friend (and sometimes more), and was so successful I don't even need them anymore!

Hopefully I did not use up the mojo juice in them and they will still work this good for you too!
icon10.gif

biggrin.gif
You like the pic don't you. I walked with my Float II to the grocery store one time. I got a lot of funny looks.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #37 of 270
Personally, I would wear any kinda can outside in public as long as it sounded good. I wouldn't go buy a cheap pair of IEM's when i could wear some kinda fullsize.

If you care about audio quality at all, then why do you care about your looks??

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #38 of 270
I wear my HD485'S out in public all the time.....people stare but if they knew how good they sound they'd go get a pair too imho......i've also had some people smile when they see me wearing em so it's cool.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 270
For me it's not so much the fashion aspect that I find weird about wearing full-sized headphones in public, but rather the "I'm so into my own reality that I want/need to be coddled up in my sonic cocoon while I walk among you people" aspect.

I think someone pointed out, if you live in an urban area where people maintain more of their their "privacy" while in public, then by all means this might be appropriate. And if you want to wear your big-ass cans out but feel too insecure to do it, then definitely something is wrong.

But isn't it what smaller headphones/IEMs are for? Portable use? And the prevailing attitude that portable amps can't really drive the big cans properly anyway?

But ultimately, listening to music on headphones is a very private and individual act. It's great to have an active personal life and be an individual content with your own company, but you have to have balance. Big headphones basically telegraph anti-social tendencies.

Maybe take off the cans and talk to more people?

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #41 of 270
When I do wear full size cans out in public , I'm usually completely absorbed in what i'm listening to. So how it 'looks' to other people isn't something I give a lot of thought to. The music simply takes over......

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #42 of 270
The OP question and some of the answers are interesting. Just for me, I think the question is irrelevant. I wear whatever clothes I want with whatever hat and phones. Only if I'm in a social situation where I know and care about the people around me and what they think do I consider others' opinions. Around the neighborhood for walks or around town I consider comfort and sound quality, not others.

Of course I'm about three times as old as the average poster here, but I think I've been like this most of my life. Maybe it's a bad thing, I don't know.

My advice is to do what you are comfortable with. If others' opinions are important to you then that figures into your comfort level. However, we all know that big cans look stupid outside.

With grins and appreciation for all of you,

Mooch

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #43 of 270
I'm 20...and wear Proline 750s out in public. I've worn my Sr-60s outside too, but my DT990s have never left the apartment.

However, the only reason why I was wearing them is my SE530s were stolen and I didn't have anything better to wear. I don't think that the 750s look bad when worn with proper clothes, but wearing full-sized cans is often cumbersome! I would much prefer having IEMs with me rather than full-sized cans for both isolation and convenience, but I don't think that there is anything fashionably wrong with wearing full-sized cans as long as you dress appropriately (like the hipster comment on page 2...).

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #44 of 270
Yes, I find it weird.53.85% of the time...

Whereas, 46.15% of the time, I think to myself:

No, there's nothing strange about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I reserve the right to update these feelings, in due time; If only so that I don't feel strange...

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #45 of 270
Lol, nice one.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back