Do YOU think our musical tastes can be reflective of our personalities?
Aug 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

greenwoodwoo

New Head-Fier
I'm not asking if you think the music we listens to SHAPES us, because that is undeniable. I'm am asking if our decision to sway towards music that influences us in the FIRST place is BECAUSE of our general demeanor (or perhaps for some, how we actually feel under our prevailing social masks....) .

I read something suggesting this thought in a book somewhere, and I thought I would asked the distinguished members of this forum to chime in with their input. 

For instance, I have found that I have a strong inclination towards slow, smooth, melancholic jazz, like this:

Is that some kind of indication of what could be a slight disposition towards unhappiness in my personality?

Or is it just a matter of how are tastes have grown over the course of our lifetime listening to music?

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 15
Yep, definitely reflective. I play music thats fits my mood best and I am inclined to say 99% of people do that.

Is that some kind of indication of what could be a slight disposition towards unhappiness in my personality?  

Interesting question. Personally I like slightly melancholic music as well. I guess that does fit my personality which I would ''classify'' as mostly introspective or inward if you know what I mean. A tat of melancholy just seems to vibrate with my personality. I wouldnt say that listening to that kind of music is an indication of unhappiness although I can be very unhappy at times. But who isnt?

Also, when I imagine people listening to mostly ''happy'' uptempo music I see the more extraverted person. I would say these are people that feel good a lot of the time but I may be on thin ice here.

Just some thoughts late at night.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 15
I would say definetly.  I have a freind who can play piano great, and he has a laid-back view on life.   When he sits down and starts playing...I want to fall asleep.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 15
A person who is not easily taken by catchy melodic hooks is a person who has the ability to appreciate art at a higher level compared to those who want something who want something simple and fun. Not everyone is musically skewed, even if they do listen to a lot of music. There are some who although listen to a lot of music, prefer to stay in their safe zone and refuse to explore various genres (this applies to the majority of people). Coincidentally, these people are also those who apply that low level of appreciation to other art forms such as literature, movies, paintings etc. It might sound like I'm ripping on them but I'm not as it is perfectly acceptable. I'm not much of a person who reads scientific magazines nor am I a gun nut either. 

So, yes, the music you listen to is quite indicative of the type of personality you have, albeit only a fraction of it.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 15
The music I listen to is definitly reflective of my personality.  I listen to a lot of old school punk rock and Irish Punk (probably because I am Irish) like fast, loud, and fun music.  Pretty much how I live life.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 15
I believe music we listen to can be as much a reflection of our mood/affect of our endogenous personality as it can be to our personality responding to external stimuli at a particular moment, which is in itself tempered by our innate sense of self.

Also our personal history has an influence. Music that we grew up with, or was significant to us at particular moments in our lives. These are things we often take with us in later life.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Also our personal history has an influence. Music that we grew up with, or was significant to us at particular moments in our lives. These are things we often take with us in later life.

Well said. I agree. At a young age we already develop preference. A lot of the type of music or certain elements that I loved back then still does it for me now.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 15
Definitely!
It may not be, but it certainly can give you an indication.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 15
I usually notice that those with no musical taste and eat up whatever garbage is being put in front of them via MTV/radio stations usually are about as interesting as a piece of cardboard, putting aside their real personality for a more accepted, inoffensive one.
My friends who play and listen to Jazz are very formulaic people; They listen for chord progressions in music, and believe in theory and technique before improvisation. They also frown on their "freeform" counterparts.

My immature friends flock to mainstream electro (Benny Benassi), car beat rap (Durrough Music), and some crappy bands in the screamo genre that are a step before being considered "Hardcore".

I personally listen to plenty of techno (when I want to feel "cool"/upbeat I have some house/dance and rap), punk rock, noise rock, hardstyle and lo-fi genres (oh the irony). But offsetting the Bad Brains and Scratch Acid may be someone upbeat and poppy, yet raw like The Vaselines, when I turn to music as an escape.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Well said. I agree. At a young age we already develop preference. A lot of the type of music or certain elements that I loved back then still does it for me now.

I can't say the same for myself (regarding developing any preference at a young age). I was schooled in Classical piano, and ended up hating classical music because I found the process to be so boring and restricting. I started listening to Rock (yes, I know, how original), went through Heavy Metal, to Blues, and then to the wonderful world of electronic music. After a brief but dedicated return to blues music, I found jazz music to be my ultimate calling. I have dabbled in classical music now and found it to be most enjoyable, completely contradicting my tastes as a youngin'. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I can't say the same for myself (regarding developing any preference at a young age). I was schooled in Classical piano, and ended up hating classical music because I found the process to be so boring and restricting. I started listening to Rock (yes, I know, how original), went through Heavy Metal, to Blues, and then to the wonderful world of electronic music. After a brief but dedicated return to blues music, I found jazz music to be my ultimate calling. I have dabbled in classical music now and found it to be most enjoyable, completely contradicting my tastes as a youngin'. 

My original point was that "Also our personal history has an influence".
In your case it was a negative reaction. But a reaction none the less. Our tastes aren't alway based on positive experiences. There are some tunes I avoid listening to because of the associations they have to the past and I have taken them with me. In your case you have come full circle and was able to leave those negative feelings to the past.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 15
I think there should be a "somewhat" answer because that's how I feel. I listen to ALL types of music aside from country and classic rock/metal.

Everything else I have something I love about it. Everything. Sometimes I tend to be quiet and others I'm outgoing and loud. A lot of the time I listen to whatever genre of music coincides with my emotions at that time; I haven't listened to classical for a bit though haha; might have to do with college finals and finally coming home to relax for a week or so...

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

I shouldnt have said that anyway about developing at a young age. It isnt based on much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back