Do you think I'll be happy with the Denon D2000 headphones (my own thread)
Dec 31, 2007 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that somebody else had a similar question but I wanted my own thread to get replies specifically for me

I'm looking to get a headphone to fill the void left by the other headphones that I've owned.

Here's the jist of what I think about the headphones that I've owned.

HD600 - nice balance of bass and mids, but highs a bit too veiled. Need a bit more sparkle to sound realistic.
HD650 - too much bass without fixing the highs
AKG K701 - needs about 10-20% more bass impact. Upper mids a little bit scratchy sometimes.
Most Grados - uncomfortable, good tight mid bass but peaky highs hurt my ears.
Beyerdynamic DT 880- an improvement over Grado in many ways but still a bit lean like the AKG.

So far my favorite is the AKG but I need something with more oomph. I don't mind a slightly brighter rather than a rolled off sound. I hate Shures as they all sound high frequency deficient but I'm definitely turned off with Grado's and their 10-20 dB treble spike.

So far, I get the impression the Denon is has gobs of bass impact, but has nice sparkly highs to help balance it off. And they sound like they are very comfy, an issue with my K701 (headband).

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 20
Perhaps the answer is not a different headphone, but a different amp. Try looking in that direction as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need to audition the D5000. They have yet to cease amazing me. Their potential is virtually limitless... the more you improve your audio chain, the more the Denons will give you.

I have a pretty good audio chain, and am not impressed with the Denons. Sad, but the OP will have to spend the money and time to arrive at their own conclusions.

Sometimes there are no shortcuts in this hobby, except getting out to meets - that way you can at least gain experience.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need to audition the D5000. They have yet to cease amazing me. Their potential is virtually limitless... the more you improve your audio chain, the more the Denons will give you.

How much difference is there between the D2000 and D5000?

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pretty good audio chain, and am not impressed with the Denons. Sad, but the OP will have to spend the money and time to arrive at their own conclusions.

Sometimes there are no shortcuts in this hobby, except getting out to meets - that way you can at least gain experience.

X2. Have spent time with both the D5000 and D2000s. Good, but not great and disagree that they scale well. Haven't tried the mods that some have, so that may make a difference. I'm not interested enough to try.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm looking at your signature. You prefer the RP-21 to the Denons? Now that's funny. I guess it just goes to show you that everyone has their own preference. But the RP-21 have no transparency whatsoever, not to mention they are the most uncomfortable headphones in the world.

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. Have spent time with both the D5000 and D2000s. Good, but not great and disagree that they scale well. Haven't tried the mods that some have, so that may make a difference. I'm not interested enough to try.

Forget the mods. The headphones just need at least 80 - 120 hours of burn-in before they sound the way they should. That's what makes this hobby user-centric, though. Everyone's ears and brains have different preferences, and those change over time.

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ataraxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the answer is not a different headphone, but a different amp. Try looking in that direction as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good answer here... but also think about an upgrade in source. It's definitely brought alive my HD600s, removing any real sense of veil.

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much difference is there between the D2000 and D5000?

Couldn't tell you. I heard the D2000 once for a few minutes, and never in my own system. But from the quick listen I had, I knew enough to know that I prefered the more natural tonality of the D5000. I'm sure the cable and the wood cups both play a role in this.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happyness will ont be attained with headpones alone :evillauf:

True, you need a tasty sandwich to keep up your strength
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 20
I really like the D2000. They have the bass oomph that the K701 doesn't. Some say it's sloppy bass, but I find it OK. While they are brighter than the K701, they don't have as much brightness as the Grado SR125, which I found irritatingly bright.

Not to mention that these are easily the most comfortable of my collection (HD580, K501, K701, D2000). I have worn them for many hours at a time with not even the slightest bit of discomfort.

These have become my FOTM despite the only real criticism I have of them. At low and mid-range listening levels they sound really nice, but when I turn it up to high listening levels the sound starts to fall apart. The cans lose their composure. I am a little unsure how to describe it. The only comparison I can draw is that it's like being at a live gig where the PA is too loud for the room and sound reflections seem to compound certain frequencies and drown out others.

These are the first closed can I have used. Could this be symptomatic of them being closed?

Unlike the K701. I have found that it takes pretty much everything in its stride, but is lacks a little in impact.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 20
thanks for that feedback fordgt, esp your first sentence

I don't know if I want to spring for the D5000 over the D2000 though, but at $300 or so, the D2000 appears to address my complaints

I don't think I'm a basshead but I still prefer a slightly overemphasized bass over a less emphasized bass due to the loudness curves when listening at lower levels. I find to get the bass impact I want, I have to listen to the K701 too loudly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back