Do you think CDs are too expensive?
Feb 2, 2006 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

clarke68

1000+ Head-Fier
So does everybody else. The vast majority of respondents to a recent record industry poll say they do not download pirated music, but they buy fewer CDs these days because they're too expensive and the quality of the music is poor. Read about it here.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 93
I get most of my CDs from yourmusic.com ($5.99/disc shipped + tax), so it's not that bad. At $15.00 or under, I think it's still reasonable. I do see the $18.98 list price being charged for a single CD at retailers like Tower Records, but who really pay that much. Yes, there're the arguments that a DVD is a better entertainment value, blah blah blah....but I see movies being completely different from music. So for me, at least, the point is moot.

But then, I paid over $100.00 for a used CD, so I think I'm slightly biased.
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
But then, I paid over $100.00 for a used CD, so I think I'm slightly biased.
icon10.gif

You've inspired me! I've been looking for a copy of Jim Croce's "Gold in a Bottle" for some time (it's a 24k Gold DCC disc, remastered by Steve Hoffman). But they are so rare and expensive, so I kind of gave up. Well, until just now. My (hopefully fresh and minty) copy is now on the way from Amazon.com for $67.48 shipped. I've never spent more than $30 or $35 on a single disc before.

Ok, getting back to the thread topic. There is definitely a noticable trend towards higher CD prices, but yourmusic.com really helps to smooth it out. For anyone who is just starting to put a collection together and needs to "backfill" for all of those juicy favorites that you never had your own copy of, $5.99 + tax (with free shipping) is a pretty good deal. It doesn't help so much with new music, so that's quite another matter. I agree that prices of $15 to $18 for "nothing special" types of CD's (i.e., no "extras" or bonus tracks included) is getting pretty steep.

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
The vast majority of respondents to a recent record industry poll say they do not download pirated music, but they buy fewer CDs these days because they're too expensive and the quality of the music is poor.

I agree. I have stopped downloading mainly because it causes me to buy more CD's and the CD's are expensive as hell. THANK GOD for places like yourmusic.com. The few CD's I get are usually from yourmusic.com.

Then again, like soundboy, I have paid quite a bit more for a SINGLE CD. I guess it depends on the quality of music mainly.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 93
I think there should be more dvd audio available to consumers. There probably will be soon, thanks to the soon-to-be hd-dvd formats (or blu-ray). Or will they skip right to the next generation?

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 93
Doubt either will happen. Lower fi, not higher fi is the trend of the future. Most people already can't tell the difference between 128k mp3's and CDs, so the demand (and supply) for higher rez formats will likely remain severely limited in the forseeable future.

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Doubt either will happen. Lower fi, not higher fi is the trend of the future. Most people already can't tell the difference between 128k mp3's and CDs, so the demand (and supply) for higher rez formats will likely remain severely limited in the forseeable future.

Hopefully at least some companies will take advantage of the ever increasing bandwith and storage capacities

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 93
Assuming I like the music, CDs are too expensive when I consider how many times I can enjoy it. I have CDs that I have listened to hundreds of times, yet I still find them interesting and enjoyable each time I put them on. Not so with movies on DVD....after 2 or 3 viewings*, I am tired of it already. And really, how many times does anyone watch those "extras"?

*unless it's "adult" in nature
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 93
I usually wait it bit after a CD has come out before I buy. Most of the time they go on sale for around 10 dollars a pop at BB or CC. Otherwise I really dont have the incentive to buy.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 93
Prices in Canada suck, especially a place like HMV. Unless it's the flavour of the month garbage you'll be lucky to find it "on sale" for 18.99. And anything that I'm looking to buy is usually aroun 25 and up. Sucks. Thank god for ebay and amazon.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 93
Yes, I really hate to pay 18€ every time I buy a slightly less well-known jazz record. Imported music from China and Japan are rather expensive as well and the import stores are probably having a comfortable profit margin by selling them for such high prices to Europe and North America.

Fortunately, there are always great values in classical music. Where else can you get a complete and renowned 5-disc symphony set for under $20 or a complete Mozart set for $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back