Do you think audiophiles have a much deeper appreciation of music than the general public?
Oct 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #46 of 134
Most audiophiles do have a greater appreciation for music than the general public, as it is this very appreciation that has likely led to a fascination with sound quality in the first place. In other words, most audiophiles become such because they have a passion for music, and want to be able to enjoy their passion to the fullest.

It is important to note, however, that simply becoming an audiophile does not guarantee a greater enjoyment of music than before. That's why I think it is generally a good idea to pick gear that stays out of the way and lets you get lost in the music. I see a lot of people put too much stock in the preferences of experienced members or objective measurements rather than sticking to what they personally enjoy. When this happens, people start to listen to the gear more than the music in an attempt to justify their purchase. You shouldn't have to force yourself to like something.

If I am being completely honest, I still struggle with this concept; it's hard to not ask myself "what am I missing?" "why don't I hear a difference?" etc.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #47 of 134
NO.

Audiophiles are Equipment fetishists. 

You don't need to be able to distinguish the bass guitarists nose hairs resonating to enjoy music. 

Good music is about how it makes you feel, you don't need HiFi for that.

Although by default I think I need all sorts of kit. In reality, I want it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #48 of 134
It may depend on how you define the general public.  Do Audiophiles have a better or greater appreciation that all members of the general publc, who are not audiophiles? No, but since much of the general public tends to view music as background noise, then yes. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #49 of 134
I've worked with the general public for years. They don't appreciate Jack Schitt.  :wink:

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #50 of 134
Quote:
I've worked with the general public for years. They don't appreciate Jack Schitt.  :wink:

Haha, well played. But yea, most people pretty much suck.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #51 of 134
It's a tough question. I've actually struggled with the equipment whoring vs. actual music enjoyment conundrum at times.

Funny to think how a decade ago, I could listen to songs I liked in total bliss out of $10 earphones. Nowadays, I'm not sure if that's still possible.

My end goal is to find a setup that I am completely content with and then to completely revisit every album I've ever enjoyed in the past. Have been getting closer to my goal in the past year, hopefully will reach my destination soon.   

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #52 of 134
General Public :

I know that song!

S/He's married to "X" ...

Turn that down ...

Folks here-abouts:

This is the better release of the artists work ...

With band member "X" before their solo career ...

Must be played at seven for the fullness of imaging of the instruments upon the sound/head-stage ;')

Yeah, we hear, listen and pay attention a bit differently as we evolve with this hobby and it does take a certain level of choice of hardware and source material with which to do so to become appreciative thereof . IMHO&E ;')

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #53 of 134
Quote:
General Public :

I know that song!

S/He's married to "X" ...

Turn that down ...

Folks here-abouts:

This is the better release of the artists work ...

With band member "X" before their solo career ...

Must be played at seven for the fullness of imaging of the instruments upon the sound/head-stage ;')

Yeah, we hear, listen and pay attention a bit differently as we evolve with this hobby and it does take a certain level of choice of hardware and source material with which to do so to become appreciative thereof . IMHO&E ;')

To put it in to simpler words, we appreciate the music, they appreciate the scene.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #54 of 134
Has anyone actually been tothe HeadFi music forum? Based on what is usually discussed there, I'm not so sure if people really listen to good music OR good sound.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #55 of 134
Quote:
Has anyone actually been tothe HeadFi music forum? Based on what is usually discussed there, I'm not so sure if people really listen to good music OR good sound.

haha. i'm a metalhead so i've come to appreciate "bad" sound. although many seemingly lo-fi recording are actually better recorded than most pop recordings. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #56 of 134
That really isn't saying much.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #57 of 134
Oct 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #58 of 134
Saying that lofi metal is better recorded that a lot of pop recordings isn't saying a whole lot.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #59 of 134
Quote:
Saying that lofi metal is better recorded that a lot of pop recordings isn't saying a whole lot.

oh haha. yeah i agree. i can hardly stand the extreme compression on most pop. it's so screechingly loud sounding. that and a lot of the time instruments seem so heavily processed that they don't even sound natural anymore. some of the recordings i listen to may sound rough, but they sound natural, which ultimately sounds better to me.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #60 of 134
perfect example right here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back