Do you think, 20 years from now...
Jan 11, 2008 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Robgo

100+ Head-Fier
that people will admire low-bit mp3s for their retro qualities? So many people use very low grade mp3s these days that it makes you wonder if they will admire the compression artifacts and poor quality for it's very nostalgic and retro qualities. Somewhat similar to how people admire vinyl (though I do think vinyl is superior to mp3) or other retro stuff that seems to crop up from time to time. I wonder if people will look back on such poor quality formats and find them warmly endearing.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 21
This thread was inspired by watching very low quality youtube videos using flac and other lossless formats for an extremely long time. I find the crappy static, compression, awful dynamics etc to be somewhat quaint sounding. Most people are so used to it though that they might feel similar sentiments a long time from now.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 21
Not I.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 21
I wonder what will be the format in 20 years? Will mp3 be the new Vinyl?

..Probably some digital lossless format..

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fetalgoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that people will admire low-bit mp3s for their retro qualities? So many people use very low grade mp3s these days that it makes you wonder if they will admire the compression artifacts and poor quality for it's very nostalgic and retro qualities. Somewhat similar to how people admire vinyl (though I do think vinyl is superior to mp3) or other retro stuff that seems to crop up from time to time. I wonder if people will look back on such poor quality formats and find them warmly endearing.

No because by then we'll probably have WAV quality sound at half the size of a regular MP3. They'll be endearing like a Commodore 64 is endearing.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 20 years I'll be viewing low quality MP3s the way we look at Polio now.

lol. I'm going to use this as a sig.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 21
lol go ahead
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 21
No, because there's no possible valid argument that MP3 could be more accurate than lossless. Analog copies (ex. tape, reel-to-reel, vinyl) can be more accurate than digital, if the original recording was made in the analog domain.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 21
While there will probably be little nostalgia for MP3 itself, the MP3 sound which people who listen to low bitrate recordings (including the sort that iTunes continues to propagate) have become accustomed to may have some attraction. It's the way the album sounded to them for a particular (and probably lengthy) period of their lives. So a better recording might sound foreign to some ears. Some people, after all, still like the staticky FM radio sound.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So a better recording might sound foreign to some ears. Some people, after all, still like the staticky FM radio sound.

Good point. This is the thinking that has created such compressed contemporary albums. Not only is it a loudness war, it's about getting what you heard on the radio. I've actually heard reports of consumers complaining that albums they purchased didn't sound as loud or exciting as they had on the radio.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 21
While audio casettes and VHS tapes have nostalgic value since they are physical entities, mp3 is just a file on a computer and there is no sense of possession or nostalgia that can be associated with it. So no, mp3 will just be dead and gone, unless some newer encoding methods help to keep mp3's completely lossless and support several channels and increase dynamic range etc etc...in which case mp3 will live on. While some ppl might refer to the older ways of listening to 128kbps tracks on a poor quality mp3 player, no one is going to collect 128kbps tracks for nostalgic value....atleast thats my take on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back