Do you take your phones for granted?
Dec 13, 2008 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
Well as I am helping my roommate find a decent pair of iem's for his zune, we have been auditioning many iem's. Tonight I decided to listen to my music back with my ue-11 pro. I have come to re realize why I purchased them in the first place. They are just simply amazing. I guess I became complacent with them as I use them all the time and tonight made me appreciate them all over again. I just wish he could hear these and understand how good sound can be with IEM's. I offered to pay half of hearyourself c3's but I really don't think he is going to take me up on it. I know they are nowhere near this good, but they are a heck a lot better than everything we have been trying.

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 14
I take my phones for granted. I think I've hit so many good deals that I just haven't given my brain time to catch up to all the good sound I have available.

That's probably why I'll just keep buying more.

I'm such a prick to my wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

TooManyHeadphonesshrunk.jpg

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 14
I think even though I haven't been in to the higher end audio for very long at all, about a month now, I think I'm already starting to take them for granted. Is that possible?

First I got Super.fi 4vi's, then I got the Super.fi 5 EB's (which I was very happy with because sometimes I'm a total basshead), and a few day ago I received my Shure SE530's from Amazon.

Already though, I'm thinking about what I might buy next and whether or not the quality and clarity I'm experiencing is good even though logically I'm aware that, especially with the Shure SE530's, I'm damn near the top of what universal fit IEM's can provide.

I still get giddy and excited when I think about reading about my IEM's and playing around with the tips they come with though, lol, so the excitement of having something new, shiny, and expensive hasn't quite worn off but I've definitely adjusted to the sound.

A few days ago, I showed my brother the Super.fi 4 and 5's and then I listened to a song on the stock iPod earbuds he's rockin'. God that sounded like music through a tin can compared to what I'm using.

After that, I gave him my Super.fi 4's because I refuse to let that kid listen to music outta such ****ty headphones. He definitely doesn't have the same appreciation for the IEM's that I do but I think it's slowly dawning upon him the more he listens and the more I impress upon him the fact that if you enjoy music, you might as enjoy it well.

:]

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take my phones for granted. I think I've hit so many good deals that I just haven't given my brain time to catch up to all the good sound I have available.

That's probably why I'll just keep buying more.

I'm such a prick to my wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

TooManyHeadphonesshrunk.jpg

Wow, that's quite the collection. I just have a pair of JVC Gumy's and my Sleeks haha.

As for the thread, no I don't think I take my Sleeks for granted. Now, I do get accustomed to the sound, but listening to my Gumy's for a while takes care of that and I relish the sound of the Sleeks again. And then I repeat the cycle. I also find it amazing how something as simple as changing the eartips can change the sound of the IEM's. I have some Shure Olives, that are slightly too big for my ears, the stock Sleek bi-flanges, a set of the Klipsch gels (that was quite a nice catch for me, I am always using them), and soon I will pick up some foam earplugs to DIY into eartips and try them.

The changes aren't that very noticable amongst the changes of eartips, but I do feel I get the most bass out of the stock bi-flanges, better highs out the Olives, best comfort out of the gels, and I think probably the best overall sound out of the gels as well. I really want to try customs though, but I can't afford them, and Jason hasn't said if they do just custom tips for the Sleeks or not. I can't afford to spend $300 on another set of IEM's, especially that I already have.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's quite the collection. I just have a pair of JVC Gumy's and my Sleeks haha.

The worst part is I left out anything closed or anything that cost me less than $25 (MSRP, at least, mainly earbuds).

I've probably got 10 different earphones kicking about. More are on the way too (Just ordered the Etymotic HF5 which will be here Monday, and should be getting two more sets of JBuds J2 soon).
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 14
i respect them.

the only one i actually ever took for granted was my er6is...

I never wear these things outside, wear them at the gym or anything else...They just stay home in their cases when they're not in use.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 14
No I don't.
I take very well care of them, and hope they last a long time. But I still don't take them for granted.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 14
My current phones the HJE900s i adore and i went through alot of trouble trying to get them and they are to me worth more than there weight even if it was diamond and not zirconium. I dont think ill ever look back at them with lack of respect because ill remember were i came from and what i've learned here...Thats something that no amount of money will ever be abile to buy and I'll respect that till my last breath on this good earth.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 14
I definitely don't take them for granted, especially since money is a big issue as a college student.

I often wonder if going into head-fi was even a smart choice. I do believe that ignorance is a big bliss lol, especially when I see friends enjoying their ibuds.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 14
I don't take them for granted. Each was an investment, but each represents hundreds or thousands of hours of work by their designers.

But the initial excitement wears off and you know what to expect. That's why it's good to have a few around - if you switch up every week or two, you'll rediscover them each time.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely don't take them for granted, especially since money is a big issue as a college student.

I often wonder if going into head-fi was even a smart choice. I do believe that ignorance is a big bliss lol, especially when I see friends enjoying their ibuds.

I hear you on that double on the college part especially lol
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 14
Well let me see. I'm TOTALLY new to hifi (and head-fi
darthsmile.gif
)

I've decided to start small.. ordered a JVC marshmallow and a KOSS KSC75 to start off. I definitely won't be taking these babies for granted. But I see what u guys mean. I can hardly wait... given the excitement
biggrin.gif

But the fact that I live in Asia and that my budget won't go beyond $50 at the moment severely limits me
triportsad.gif

Lets hope I earn enough next year to try at least some mid-end Shure/SA types!
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Well, ignorance has never been bliss for me. After getting an iPod Nano a couple of years back, I found after a month that I simply could not listen to the iBuds, tinny and unable to properly play the vocals of Freddie Mercury. I then ordered the CX300s, and they satisfied me for two years, until now I have heard music from some decent speakers, and become dissatisfied with the CX300's boomy bass and lack of detail. I know that there are better 'phones than the CX300, but I also know full well that there are worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back