Do you take good headphones with you when you go out?
Nov 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

soundparticle

New Head-Fier
I live in Chicago so usually when I need to get somewhere I just hop on a train or bus, or occasionally just walk myself if it isn't *too* far. When I go out, I usually just wear my cheapo Sony workout earbuds rather than my actual good set of headphones (Q701, they're good enough for me). While I'd *rather* have good headphones on longer rides, I don't take them for two reasons: I don't want to risk them getting damaged, and I don't want to look like a douchbag with big headphones on.

So I thought I'd ask you all here (anyone, but especially those of you who take public transportation a lot), do you travel with your favorite set? Or do you just use cheap consumer grade buds/cans when on the go? Or maybe you have a 'beater' set of good cans? Or something else?

Just something I was thinking about.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 34
I don't even listen to music in public places, because I'm too concerned about crime. I don't take anything valuable or valuable-looking into town, except an older iPod which I might replace with a Sansa Clip+. Likewise, at the library where I work, I don't want to attract attention so no one decides to follow me to my car. My romantic partner (female) worries a little because my PX200-II has the brand name on the headband, but I don't think the cheaper Sennheisers are so desirable. So, yeah, there's a world of difference between my daytime music listening and the sound quality I enjoy at home.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 34
I'm an in-ear guy and I always carry my best with me. No, actually I carry all of mine with me in a pelican case just in case. I always have them on traveling to and back from work by public transportation in Seoul, Korea. Don't want to listen to train noises, people noises, and street noises.

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 34
My set of 'beaters':

I'm not afraid that it'll make me look like a douchébag simply because I look nothing like a douchébag, so a pair of headphones won't make a difference. They have a DIY carbon fibre finish to reduce fingerprints and increase fanciness, and all the internals are completely reworked to have more balanced sound. They are also wireless via Bluetooth, also DIY. I'm not afraid to use it in public, because everyone thinks they're fake. Plus I look more intimidating than I look douchebaggy. 

Oh yes - "good" would be subjective. Everyone likes different things, and I like the way these sound. That's all that matters. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 34
  My set of 'beaters':

I'm not afraid that it'll make me look like a douchébag simply because I look nothing like a douchébag, so a pair of headphones won't make a difference. They have a DIY carbon fibre finish to reduce fingerprints and increase fanciness, and all the internals are completely reworked to have more balanced sound. They are also wireless via Bluetooth, also DIY. I'm not afraid to use it in public, because everyone thinks they're fake. Plus I look more intimidating than I look douchebaggy. 

Oh yes - "good" would be subjective. Everyone likes different things, and I like the way these sound. That's all that matters. 

Making them was industrious. Wearing them is clever. Posting about them here is courageous. Way to go, dude! If you will it, it is no dream.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 34
I just resort to my IEMs, they're barely noticeable and decent IEMs are pretty good these days, even compared to mid-fi full size cans (there, I said it).

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 34

Making them was industrious. Wearing them is clever. Posting about them here is courageous. Way to go, dude! If you will it, it is no dream.

It's like a dream come true for me. They don't look ugly, don't sound too bad, are over-ear but portable, can be wired or wireless, and can act as a Bluetooth audio receiver for non-wireless speakers.

Thanks for appreciating my choice of headphone! This set of modded Beats was the sole reason I joined Head-Fi, knowing I'll be bagged out for it to some extent.

I just resort to my IEMs, they're barely noticeable and decent IEMs are pretty good these days, even compared to mid-fi full size cans (there, I said it).

I've had some decent IEMs myself, and I'm very interested in getting some multiple balanced armature IEMs but the only thing putting it off for me is the earwax problem. Even after cleaning my ears, IEMs seem to do a better job than I do.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 34
I've had some decent IEMs myself, and I'm very interested in getting some multiple balanced armature IEMs but the only thing putting it off for me is the earwax problem. Even after cleaning my ears, IEMs seem to do a better job than I do.

So true!
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 34
I'm always taking my JVC S500's out with me. And to be honest I'm not really concerned about crime. I mean, if you can run fast and know how to defend yourself, there's nothing to be afraid of :)

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 34
I bring my back up pair for my Audio Technica M35, a $20 pair of Sony MDR-ZX100.
1. I'm not ruining my studio headphones.
2. I'm not walking around with an 11 foot cord.
3. I'm not getting mugged for a pair of cans.
4. $20 for headphones is easily replaced.
5. Who would want $20 headphones?

They don't sound THAT bad either so I can live with it.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 34
I bring my back up pair for my Audio Technica M35, a $20 pair of Sony MDR-ZX100.
1. I'm not ruining my studio headphones.
2. I'm not walking around with an 11 foot cord.
3. I'm not getting mugged for a pair of cans.
4. $20 for headphones is easily replaced.
5. Who would want $20 headphones?

They don't sound THAT bad either so I can live with it.

I have a very similar headphone; the Sony MDR-zx300. To be honest, I don't know the difference between the zx100 and the zx300, except for its $31 price tag and fancier radial aluminium design. I've read the manual, and apparently the range of the zx300s is a bit wider. My zx300s have been modified to have the cable from the Samsung Galaxy S4's stock earphone cable, so it has volume controls that are fully compatible with Android devices.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 34
Cans are big, inconvenient to carry arround, and have poor noise isolation. Smaller on ear headphones designed for portability are still too big to be worth carrying around, and still have bad noise isolation.

The only headphones I ever consider carrying out into public are iems. They are small enough to fit in my pocket, and provide good noise isolation so I don't have to turn up the volume to uncomfortable levels to drown out surrounding noise. Another great thing about iems is that often the best iems are made of plastic and are from brands most people aren't aware of. So it's not like you have to worry about being targeted for carrying expensive looking headphones when most people associate beats, bluetooth, cloth cords, and metal housings with good headphones.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 34
I either take IEM's (westone um pro30/final audio design Heaven II) or my main go to portable headphones are German Maestro GMP 8.35 D, excellent isolation and sound, also the industrial look doesn't make people want to steal them and they are indestructible :)

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 34
I live in Japan, so it's probably not a fair comparison, but I go out with a pair of ~$700 FitEar Parterres. Given the loss in sound quality from ambient noise though, It is easier to just use a pair of Sony XBAs most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back