Do you say "Gray-do" or "Grah-do"?
Nov 2, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
YES!

At least in America they are wrong.

They probably changed the pronunciation to conform to American standards, that and correcting people 100 times a day just gets annoying. If he is origionally from Italy it was most likely 'grah-doe' to begin with.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #32 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
YES!

At least in America they are wrong.

Is it a question of right and wrong?

I think it comes down to a man's right to choose the way his name, or his product's name, is pronounced.

My name is Cainan. I pronounce that Kay-Nan. But the original (biblical) pronunciation is Kay-Eye-Nan. However, when I tell people how I pronounce it they generally follow suit. It's courtesy really.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #33 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Astonishingly stupid thing to say. I think the Man Himself would know how to pronounce his name....
rolleyes.gif

More to add. Its also a fact that Italians have difficulty actually pronouncing some English words properly, seen Sopranos...

So is it totally unbelievable to think English speakers in North America have adapted it for ease of use? John Grado might well be pronouncing right for his American family, but its not necessarily authentic or how Italians would say it.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #35 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
So if 100,000 Italian 'Grados' all pronounce it differently they're wrong?

Quote:

More to add. Its also a fact that Italians have difficulty actually pronouncing some English words properly, seen Sopranos...

So is it totally unbelievable to think English speakers in North America have adapted it for ease of use? John Grado might well be pronouncing right for his American family, but its not necessarily authentic or how Italians would say it.

Uh yeh but we're not talking about an italian name. we're talking about an american product. when you invent a product you can call it whatever you want. and you can make it be spelt and pronounced howvere you want. it doesn't have to be in the dictionary or suit anyone elses' perception of how it should be pronounced. you own the company, you invent the product and you invent the name for your product.

As i said in the 3rd post (which rightfully ended with "endthread" because everything since has been redundant), the name is pronounced "grah-doe" (aproximately) but we're talking about a trademark here, not a person's name. the inventor of the product and the trademark says it's "gray-doe", and so it is.

edit: oh yeah, and if "authentic italians" pronounce his product as "grah-doe" they'd be wrong.

(i personally say "gra-doe" inside my head. however i'm australian and we dont really have the same harsh "a" sound that americans do. however i'm pronouncing it WRONG when i do this. when i say it aloud though i say "gray-doe")

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #36 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Playdoh.

Actually it's Playdough. But that is a perfect correlation on how to say Grado - it's just like Playdough - Gray-Dough.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #38 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Actually it's Playdough. But that is a perfect correlation on how to say Grado - it's just like Playdough - Gray-Dough.

but what if it was Pladough, afterall it's not Graydo -=)

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 145
Quote:

I never questioned the believablity. The point is, if I make running shoes called "Sopi Blerx" and I chose to pronounce it Soppy Bollocks, no number of "authentic" native speakers can tell me I'm wrong or that the millions of people pounding the streets with my Soppy Bollocks on their feet have been saying the name wrong.

What if your MSN buddy says the "G" is not hard but soft as in Girardelli cos that's how they say it in Palermo ? You gonna call them "Jz-ray-do's" ?

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #41 of 145
You must excuse the Americans, they are not used to pronouncing foreign words. They especially have trouble pronouncing French words. I thought they were forced too learn French at school?

Europeans are more used to hearing foreign words, on holidays, like me in Italy, Austria or France. The Americans are lucky if they ever get outside the US border.

This is not to criticise anyone, but just my observation.
icon10.gif

Ps.

I vote for “grah-do”

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #42 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridVision
I don't think it's that simple. As a Brit, and as someone who only speaks English, my natural pronunciation was "grah-doh".

But technically, since it's a product, and not a word in the dictionary, the correct pronunciation is however the creator of that product says it.

I always use to pronounce Nike as nighk (as in night with a 'k'), but when I found out the it was pronounced ni-kee I started saying that. I think the importance of honouring the originator of the (brand) name outweighs personal preferance.

Well, Hong Kong as an ex-colony of UK, i pronounced it Grah-do naturally too.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #43 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greisen
You must excuse the Americans, they are not used to pronouncing foreign words. They especially have trouble pronouncing French words. I thought they were forced too learn French at school?

Europeans are more used to hearing foreign words, on holidays, like me in Italy, Austria or France. The Americans are lucky if they ever get outside US border.

This is not to criticise any, but just my observation.
icon10.gif

Ps.

I vote for “grah-do”

No problem, just call John Grado, and ask him to pronounce his name your way. We have a solution!
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #45 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
Well, Hong Kong as an ex-colony of UK, i pronounced it Grah-do naturally too.

Yes the A in Grado, like A in ass (English pronunciation)

My uncle in Manchester say Grah-do, like you and me…
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back