Do you say "Gray-do" or "Grah-do"?
May 20, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #137 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium
Gra"h"-do is the correct pronounciation

Only americans say Gra"y"do, but who can blame them, they don´t know better
rolleyes.gif

That is ridiculous. A name is a name.

BTW: I am an American and I have always said 'Grah-dough', even though they say it is wrong.

May 20, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #138 of 145
Mikhail set me straight on how to pronounce it when i said that the amp will be for Grah-do's only.During the conversation he mentions them as Gray-do's so right off the bat i sounded like a complete moron
redface.gif

May 20, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #139 of 145
It was Grah-do on the boat ride over.

(with a rolled "r")

It changed forever at Ellis Island.

In the old country it's Grah-do.

(with a rolled "r")

In the new world it's Gray-do.

Folks in Italy and Sicily will think Grah-do.

(with a rolled "r")

In north America most of us will think Gray-do.

The rest of the world is on it's own.

Simple.

May 20, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #141 of 145
I lived in the states for after a while I got used to how people read and pronounced my name.

That’s probably what happened to the the Grado family. I’m guessing when the average american reads Grado he thinks “grade” with an ‘o’ or something.

Every language has it’s on sounds and even in the same country there can be different accents and pronunciations of the same language.

If most people around don’t know how to make a specific sound you can’t really expect everyone to bend over backwards to learn a new sound or pronunciation

May 20, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #142 of 145
Well the name is GRADO, which in English is pronounced GRAH-DO. With it being in english, the inventors of the language (us) say how it's ment to be said.

The grado family may pronounce it GRAY-DO, but i know that americans can't help changing our language (no offence intended). But one thing that does annoy me is the americans calling Aluminium -> Aluminum
confused.gif
confused.gif

Why why why

End of thread and discussion
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #145 of 145
I think both are acceptable. But to some people only one way will go. Like philodox with "impedence".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back