Do you prefer to store your library on Mac or PC
Aug 26, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #91 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have nothing against MAC-people but I can't stand Apple fanatics who keep on dissing PC's and whining about Windows crashing down all the time etc. I've learned to live with Windows' problems and I can handle them.

In the early going, the Mac OS was clearly superior, but, over the years, Microsoft has largely closed the gap. I have experience with both.

I have found certain Mac fanboys (not most Mac users, O.K.?) to be smug, obnoxious and probably in need of either more human contact or at least more time spent away from the keyboard. Who the heck defines him or herself on the basis of the operating system he or she uses?

Quote:

Every OS has its problems.

One of the most amazing quotes I've recently read online was from a new Linux convert who flatly insisted that Linux is completely virus proof. He will find out that that is complete nonsense as soon as the rapidly growing Linux installed-base starts to attract the attention of the people who write malware. Right now, the target isn't fat enough, but add a few more million converts (Can you say "netbook?") and all sorts of bad things will start to happen.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

I have nothing against MAC-people but I can't stand Apple fanatics who keep on dissing PC's and whining about Windows crashing down all the time etc.

...and I can't stand "PC" users who keep on dissing Mac's.
Especially since very few of them have long-term experience with Mac's, and hence have no real idea what they talk about.

Quote:

Every OS has its problems. I've learned to live with Windows' problems and I can handle them.

True! But some have larger problems than others. Especially when it comes to virus, worms, ...
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #93 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the early going, the Mac OS was clearly superior, but, over the years, Microsoft has largely closed the gap. I have experience with both.

I would argue that after OS X matured, they pulled ahead again. What they tried to accomplish with Vista is what OS X did over half a decade ago. Back in the OS 9 days, it was a really desperate situation but after the Nextstep acquisition it made them stronger by starting on a completely new codebase which was modern from the start. Windows on other hand, is full of legacy API's that's still influenced from the 16bit era.

Quote:

One of the most amazing quotes I've recently read online was from a new Linux convert who flatly insisted that Linux is completely virus proof. He will find out that that is complete nonsense as soon as the rapidly growing Linux installed-base starts to attract the attention of the people who write malware. Right now, the target isn't fat enough, but add a few more million converts (Can you say "netbook?") and all sorts of bad things will start to happen.

There's more to being vulnerable to viruses than market share. Nothing is perfect so eventually it can become a problem but it shouldn't proliferate as badly as it does in Windows XP.

I found this argument pretty convincing. It's mainly about the Mac but some of it applies to Linux too. Linux, Mac and to some degree, Vista makes it harder for viruses to spread like it does in Windows XP. Blackfriars' Marketing: The Mac OS X malware myth continues (and no, Mac OS X isn't based on Linux)

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #94 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i have never owned a mac, how am i supposed to know which i prefer? Im thinking about picking up a mac mini soon to use for this exact use.

i've never had sex with a man...but i'm pretty sure i prefer sex with women (and some the opposite). sorry for the o/t response...but i think the above quote is useless.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #95 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never had sex with a man...but i'm pretty sure i prefer sex with women (and some the opposite). sorry for the o/t response...

But your certainty might be unjustified. So, by analogy, those who "prefer" PCs who have never experienced Macs are unjustified in their "preference."

Also, some of the recent talk here implies some kind of linear improvement either on the part of Windows or of Mac OS or both. Like it's some kind of race to see who gets better faster. But this isn't really what's going on. Windows 95 was great. Better than System 7 or OS 9, I thought. But then came 98 and ME. *vomit* And...Mac OS X. OSgasmic, it was. Windows XP was a huge improvement, but oh the viruses and such... It was the death of it. And no one will plug for Vista without huge qualifications. Sadly, I don't think Leopard was an improvement over Tiger. It's less stable, that's for sure. More crashes, both on the applications end and on the OS end. But more feature rich, of course. So...has the gap narrowed? Well, I think MS was ahead in the mid-90s, then when OS X came along nothing has been the same. Even when XP came out, OS X > XP. What about now? I can't say, because I have no real Vista experience. Leopard has its problems, so maybe Vista has an edge. But judging by second hand reports of Vista users, I doubt it.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #96 of 105
kugino, that really wasn't needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, some of the recent talk here implies some kind of linear improvement either on the part of Windows or of Mac OS or both. Like it's some kind of race to see who gets better faster. But this isn't really what's going on. Windows 95 was great. Better than System 7 or OS 9, I thought. But then came 98 and ME. *vomit* And...Mac OS X. OSgasmic, it was. Windows XP was a huge improvement, but oh the viruses and such... It was the death of it. And no one will plug for Vista without huge qualifications. Sadly, I don't think Leopard was an improvement over Tiger. It's less stable, that's for sure. More crashes, both on the applications end and on the OS end. But more feature rich, of course. So...has the gap narrowed? Well, I think MS was ahead in the mid-90s, then when OS X came along nothing has been the same. Even when XP came out, OS X > XP. What about now? I can't say, because I have no real Vista experience. Leopard has its problems, so maybe Vista has an edge. But judging by second hand reports of Vista users, I doubt it.

Yeah, I've only used Windows XP on my custom built PC and a virtual machine so I can't compare Vista first hand myself. There *can* be wisdom in the masses so for now, I'll assume that it isn't all that great. –I'm not willing to waste my time on this one.

The transition from Tiger -> Leopard. I did experience some problems early on but it never lasted. Of course, everyone's milage may vary. The next version "Snow Leopard" will have no major new front end features. Only refinements and underlying enhancements. When was the last time any upgrade didn't give you new flashy features? And this is considered a major release. It doesn't have to be free but they just better not charge full price.
tongue.gif

P.S. I may be skewed in this comparison but it's not without reason. I have respect for what Windows did for the world under Bill Gates.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #97 of 105
my comment was not to be crass or silly. nor was it meant to side with macs or pcs. just the whole notion of preference having to be a careful decision based on personal experience is wrong, IMO. i never said i was certain about anything...i'm pretty sure about a lot of things. can my mind change? of course. but i'm still justified in preferring some things over other things even if i've never experienced it for myself.

some judgments are based on personal experience, some based on what we've read and heard, some based on silly superstitions, some based on the mood of the day. i prefer not to be tortured over being tortured. i've never been tortured before, but from what i've heard, it's probably not something i want to experience.

just the whole idea of someone posting in a thread that asks "which do you prefer...?" with "how am i supposed to know which i prefer?" is ludicrous and useless in my opinion. if you don't know, just don't answer the question. simple as that.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #98 of 105
I like my PC w/ XP just fine.
smile.gif
It's not very up-to-date but it's got enough power that iTunes runs well on it, which is my favorite library for managing my iPod. It used to be a gaming computer, but now completely obsolete because I've got a 360.

I was thinking about buying an iMac to replace my PC; my brother recently made the change himself and bought and iMac because he wanted to use it as a music server (he's got it wirelessly connected to his lounge hi-fi set) and to store/edit his photographs (new hobby).

I decided I'm not gonna switch to Macs anytime soon; because as amazing as they sound there's a few things that I absolutely really need that I can't get on a Mac: foobar2000, EAC, and uTorrent (heard they were porting this over though, don't know how that's going).

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #99 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i have never owned a mac, how am i supposed to know which i prefer? Im thinking about picking up a mac mini soon to use for this exact use.

Exactly!
Without living with a Mac for a while you have no idea what you talk about and should refrain from making hard statements.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #100 of 105
I hear ya kugino. My apologies for me misreading you. There may be some truth to that but I don't completely agree. Depends on the situation.?. And some people don't really know what they want which is fine. If everyone could readily form an opinion on just about anything, it most cases they are hollow and uninformed. – I may be guilty of this myself sometimes.

Some things have to be experienced to be known. Mac vs. PC I think is one of them. It's a choice that on the surface does the exact same thing. Other unpleasant things are a different matter.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #101 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear ya kugino. My apologies for me misreading you. There may be some truth to that but I don't completely agree. Depends on the situation.?. And some people don't really know what they want which is fine. If everyone could readily form an opinion on just about anything, it most cases they are hollow and uninformed. – I may be guilty of this myself sometimes.

Some things have to be experienced to be known. Mac vs. PC I think is one of them. It's a choice that on the surface does the exact same thing. Other unpleasant things are a different matter.

not a problem. i think krmathis understands what i've been getting at. i mean, let's say i run across a post asking whether bowl or flats would be better for grados. and i post, "how am i supposed to know which to prefer? i don't own grados." what a stupid post. no offense, but that's dumb. there are threads where many people should read and just move along...senseless post are, well, senseless and just creates more useless drivel that doesn't need to be there [/end rant]

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #102 of 105
Right, tpc41 was just making a point and I thought you had issue with his statement as I misread you. Just a misunderstanding.
tongue.gif

Time to move on.

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #103 of 105
Hmmm...

I prefer to buy CDs, and keep them.
But I also prefer to digitise them into FLAC.
These files, in turn, I prefer to store on a hard drive. Western Digitial, if possible.
This drive is formatted in ext3.
I use a Squeezebox to listen.
Thus, I don't really care what OS is running, a long as slimserver is supported.

So my vote goes to Linux, since it's just cool. In a geeky sort of way.

But they're all PCs, any longer...

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #104 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I can't stand "PC" users who keep on dissing Mac's.
Especially since very few of them have long-term experience with Mac's, and hence have no real idea what they talk about.

True! But some have larger problems than others. Especially when it comes to virus, worms, ...
wink.gif

I guess we've found the first (and certainly not the last) mac fanboy from Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Just install freesoft Avira AntiVir which updates itself automatically and run it on background. No problems with viruses. Of course if someone is so stupid that actually opens junk e-mails and links then you can blame only yourself.

Mac-mini in use:
itoilet4.jpg

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back