Do you prefer to store your library on Mac or PC
Aug 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been told by quite a few sources that making an exact audio copy of your cd is actually more bit perfect than playing from the actual cd though

in theory i can see how error correction could make that true, but in practice i doubt even entry level CD players have any problems reading a CD or transmitting the data properly. although i haven't read much about this issue, as i'm pretty much convinced that CD players sound better that computer sources. i know that is a much debated topic and not the topic of this thread, so i'll leave it at that.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #78 of 105
HAHA, sorry for being totally off topic, but I saw this and had to mention it!

Currently, the results are as follows:
Mac - 42
PC - 42

...is this THE ULTIMATE QUESTION???

And now to get back to the topic, I keep all of my media on two external HDDs totalling 750GB. So, uh...OS independent? (I use Ubuntu Linux)

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #79 of 105
Mac in the lead!
biggrin.gif

Mac = 43
PC = 42

Go, go, go...

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #80 of 105
PC. I prefer winamp and I am just more familiar with a PC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac in the lead!
biggrin.gif

Mac = 43
PC = 42

Go, go, go...

Not anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #82 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate this tie. I want to see mac destroyed by pc favor
biggrin.gif

While others have the opposite opinion...
angry_face.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #83 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While others have the opposite opinion...
angry_face.gif

While others haven't voted, since the OS/arch they store it on is irrelevant to them.
icon10.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well actually what I meant rather than store, was which OS do you prefer to access your library?

Whatever one is nearby. Usually PCLOS or Arch (Linux, for a general poll choice), currently, but occasionally OS X (dedicated Myth front end box).

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #86 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While others haven't voted, since the OS/arch they store it on is irrelevant to them.
icon10.gif

True!
I don't care all that much how the files are stored, as long as they are relative safe. What's important are the OS I use to access them...

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #87 of 105
This is one instance where OS really doesn't matter. And if you really mean which unit you prefer for playback, then the soundcard is what matters, not the library. Given the OS, it may also matter for your convenience which player you choose. I use foobar2000 and Cog on the respective OSes.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #88 of 105
I have my files stored on 2 PCs and an External drive. I access them via Vista, XP and a squeezebox.

Has worked flawlessly so far. I'll be adding a new PC in the next week or so, and will set that up for a backup node also. One can never have too many backups
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #89 of 105
I haven't voted yet because I am one of those that feel the OS/arch is irrelevant to me. I use a combination of servers and front-ends.

If one wants my ideal situation (I may have actually posted this before but whatever...)

*nix/*bsd server with journalling and RAID5 for storage then streamed to some comp using foobar2k to listen and iTunes to organize and load the iPod. In this respect I would be all linux since I can run Foobar under Wine. iTunes works best under Mac though...so I need a Mac too. Windows offers the best compromise with a decent iTunes version and native Foobar support.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #90 of 105
Ahh, good old PC vs. MAC. I use Win XP so I guess I storage my music on PC.
smily_headphones1.gif
Backups I have on external HDD.

I've always used Windows but I've tried OSX couple of times. It's probably just as good as Windows (or better!?) when you learn to use it but for the first time it's just as difficult as any other OS. When you're used to Win XP, everything seems incoherent on OSX.

I have nothing against MAC-people but I can't stand Apple fanatics who keep on dissing PC's and whining about Windows crashing down all the time etc. Every OS has its problems. I've learned to live with Windows' problems and I can handle them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back