Do you prefer: Neutral / Warm / or Bright?
Aug 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since perfect neutrality does not exist,

In headphones? How about in a live performance?

Not headphones, but I've heard some Mark Levinsons that allegedly sound identical to the real thing. I believed it!

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In headphones? How about in a live performance?

Yes, I meant headphones or sound reproduction in general.

Regards,

L.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I meant headphones or sound reproduction in general.

Regards,

L.

Do you mean that no music will ever have a flat frequency response? I mean, there is going to be more bass than treble etc. and vice versa? That makes sense to me.

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #34 of 91
Warm source, forward headphones.

Not to be confused with bright, and I've heard some bright headphones and they definitely aren't my thing. Hence my unwavering love for the SR225's.

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #35 of 91
i prefer neutral sound,with a hint of warmth i suppose,im a big fan of the shure se530 which are considered on the warm side but i find them a heck of a lot more neutral than most if not all dual driver earphones which for whatever reason seem to be on the warm side and i mean very warm almost boomin,the se530 give a beautiful blend of neutral sound with a hint of warmth and smoothness,basically brightness is a no no in my music usually bright headphones tend to give headaches quickly and suffer from more sibilance.

i thought the er4p were pretty good and even tho was very accurate and favoured the highs it was not really over bright but the lack of any warmth was a bit of a let down.

i suppose most great headphones (ue10 etc) are amazing because they get the sound so flat and nothing is over emphasised but i still prefered the se530 due to the extra warmth and bass,not too many would agree and i admit the ue10 are a more impressive headphone but seemed a bit light on low end at times,just my opinion ofcourse,i love reggae and generally very warm music

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warm, because listening is a hobby, not a profession. I need to close my eyes not pick myself up and observe every nuance.

Cheers.

this is my feelings exactly,i wish id voted warm now
280smile.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #37 of 91
I went to see the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the sound was bright. There were some sections that made my ears cringe because there were lots of big brass pieces. When listening to the music, I couldn't help but think of my 325is and how perfect they would be. I think if I listened through a pair of Senns, it wouldn't sound as realistic because of the artificially pumped bass.

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #38 of 91
My ears are very sensitive to high frequencies so I prefer a warm sound. Also, I am a rock fan and cranking the mid and low freq gives me a more visceral experience.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #40 of 91
Well, if you mean Neutral as in Flat Frequency Response, then I have heard that before and it sounds kindof bright to my ears. Therefore, I like my music a little on the warm side.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #41 of 91
I tend to say neutral, but since it's impossible to know what true neutrality is and sounds like I'll vote for bright, in the good sense of the word.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #42 of 91
To all of the people who keep saying that true neutrality doesn't exist, stop. It does exist, and can easily be measured. A neutral headphone will have a flat line all the way across the graph. This would be an example of "true" or "absolute" neutral.

Now, whether or not this will sound neutral is another story entirely. It probably won't. This is where things get a little confusing. But even now, a truly neutral sounding headphone wouldn't be difficult to design, although it would have to be designed for a specific individual's ears. Measurements would need to be taken to discover this individual's person ear effects, and the headphone can be designed accordingly.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To all of the people who keep saying that true neutrality doesn't exist, stop. It does exist, and can easily be measured. A neutral headphone will have a flat line all the way across the graph. This would be an example of "true" or "absolute" neutral.

Now, whether or not this will sound neutral is another story entirely. It probably won't. This is where things get a little confusing. But even now, a truly neutral sounding headphone wouldn't be difficult to design, although it would have to be designed for a specific individual's ears. Measurements would need to be taken to discover this individual's person ear effects, and the headphone can be designed accordingly.

x2....

Furthermore... Just because something measures neutral (flat across the spectrum) doesn't mean it will be perceived as such by enough people to make the design effort worth while. Headphone manufacturers generally opt to design something that is perceived as good/balanced rather than perceived neutrally-flat. The former being, a more obtainable goal across a general population.

This is an interesting discussion though, I'm kind of surprised that many of you prefer warmer sounding cans. That definitely explains the popularity of the HD650 and Eddie Current EC/SS.

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By neutral I meant hearing the recording as it was meant to sound by the ones who made it. Making a neutral hp should not be difficult indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back