Do you prefer: Neutral / Warm / or Bright?
Aug 27, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 91
I found I do like a warmer system driving some brighter & said to be neutral cans with accentuated treble energy, IE. 990s & k-501s , k-701s ; Although, the D2000s are a nice warm and punchy phone chosen regularly for certain brighter recordings needing a phone with an extra manered treble response, as well as simply for variety too. I do like to suite my tayloring of the music and its recording by the phone I choose, rather than any genere specificity...

So, I voted for the warmer side of neutral "system"
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love davemahler threads

I love 10-band equalizers
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #19 of 91
Neutral = boring

This thread can encompass so many views on what each of those three mean, it's hard to really narrow it out....especially since you said Neutral = flat. So would that mean warm = bass heavy because it's "full"? And likewise for bright, it lacking in bass but just really killing your ears with treble?

I like bass, punch and depth. But you can have bright songs that have all of those.....but, I'll just say warm, because vinyl is typically "warm"...and vinyl kicks ass, lol.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 91
I was going to vote neutral, but I do have a tendency towards liking a bit of brightness. At the end of the day I didn't vote as I just want whatever it is to sound good and fill my noggin with some quality sound. Sometimes it might be warm, sometimes neutral whatever.

cheers
Simon

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #24 of 91
I guess I prefer neutral bordering slightly on bright. My home speaker system is considered slightly to the bright and forward side of neutral and I got my first set of phones to try to copy that sound. The MS-1 and now MS2i do just that.

....but then the HD600 comes in nicely when the sub and surrounds come in for the bigger stuff, so I've got the bases well covered.

Even the HD600 is to the brighter side of HD650, so I guess slightly brighter it is!

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #25 of 91
Bright.
plainface.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #27 of 91
Neutral with a hint of warmth and a tad bit of sparkle on top.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #28 of 91
I vote absolutely neutral. But of course that means "what I consider neutral" which is not what everyone else considers neutral.

Mainly I don't listen to or care about what I am hearing, it's what's missing that I'm here for!

I want to not hear anything that's not on the recording, and I want to not miss out on anything that is.

I don't want to miss out on anything at the top, bottom, or in the middle. Some Senns don't have enough brightness (high) and some Grados don't have enough warmth (low), to my ears.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #30 of 91
Since perfect neutrality does not exist, I prefer the Stax etch over the Sennheiser veil.

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back