Do you prefer male or female vocals?
Oct 10, 2005 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I have far more albums by female artists in my collection and find female vocals much more pleasing to my ears. I'm listening to my all time fav Melissa Kaplan formally of Splashdown and I can never get over how amazing her voice is and how much I just fall into her vocals... truly incredible! If I had to chose and only listen to one or the other it would be a hands down choice for female vocals.

Which do you prefer and why?

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 35
Female vocals are (or can be) more soothing, so if I have to pick, I'd pick the music to help me relax, rather than the music to help me work out my aggression...but my preference isn't so strong that a casual observer could tell from my music collection. I do tend to have more female "vocal centric" music than male, but the music I have for the vocalist is pretty limited, as I tend to focus on the music more than the vocals most of the time.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 35
I think it depends on the style of music for me. I took too much music in college and it has made me very analytical when I listen, picking the music apart and listening to all the layers, how they fit, how everything flows and where it goes.

Aside from the required music theory I took a capella choir and I always got goose bumps during certain pieces when the sopranos would really come forward... especially in things like the Carmina... big wow factor
tongue.gif
That seems to be the turn on point for me.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 35
it sort of depends.

it seems like female vocals are more musical than male voices. so when i listen to a man's voice singing, it's more pronounced, and it begs the listener to focus on what he's saying.

Just my two cents.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 35
Female voices for me. Much more colours in their voices in my ears. [size=xx-small]I am quite curious about the eunuch singer of the baroque (cruel and unhuman practice - but a legendary voice they say)...[/size]

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 35
I don't know, I like both as much as the other.

My preferred style of music, Progressive/Metal/Rock has got many more male singers. Shame really, female voices can go so well.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 35
Like others have said, it really depends:

For rock (and jazz), females just sound more sexy/sultry, but that just may be 'cause I'm a dog. But when I am in an angry mood, nothin' better than screaming along with a male rock singer.

For folk, I would say fifty-fifty.

For blues, I would have to vote male (again, maybe I can identify with the pain/broken heart).

For choral and chant, it depends if I want to be soothed (female) or get into a more serious/moody/somber state of mind (male).

So, I can't really pin it down for the poll, sorry....
confused.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 35
I haven't heard a female voice sing anything that I like....yet. I do enjoy their voices...except when they nag. I suppose I've only heard pop singers voices though...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
I haven't heard a female voice sing anything that I like....yet. I do enjoy their voices...except when they nag. I suppose I've only heard pop singers voices though...
rolleyes.gif

You need to click my link on the original post and listen to Sugar High, Mayan Pilot, and Procreation Chick.

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 35
I detest female vocals, all that screeching is enough to drive you mad (especially that soul stuff) give me a tune without vocals in it any day and if there have to be vocals then I prefer male with maybe a few females in the background giving the "ooh la la" backing.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I detest female vocals, all that screeching is enough to drive you mad (especially that soul stuff) give me a tune without vocals in it any day and if there have to be vocals then I prefer male with maybe a few females in the background giving the "ooh la la" backing.

uhhh, that's quite a narrow-minded statement, don't you think? You and squall2072 might need to listen to a little more music and maybe get back to us.

Maybe some Billie Holiday or Sarah Vaughn. Or how about Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell?

If you want to stick in the rock genre, plenty of females can keep their own with the boys: Grace Slick, Nico, Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders), Exene Cervenka (X), Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth), Laetitia Sadier & Mary Hansen (Stereolab), to name a few....

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 35
A male has a better and more beautiful vocal range.

You've heard males that have reached female-like voices. But, have you heard females reach male-like voices?

I think not!

Who's the "Geddy Lee" of women?

In the music I listen to, at least, such a person does not exist.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Female voices for me. Much more colours in their voices in my ears.

I agree !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back