Do you prefer colored or neutral headphones?
Jun 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither, I prefer natural sounding headphones.

650 is natural?
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #33 of 47
Neutral - I want to hear the music how it really is.

I mostly use headphones for monitoring while recording and for editing and mastering - so I want to hear it how it is - warts and all.

Though I do use the same headphones for listening for pleasure.

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #35 of 47
I prefer neutral.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 47
Colored. If it sounds good, it is good, and I am looking for the most euphonic experience possible.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Do you need a chart to figure out if your underwear is too tight?

Classic
icon10.gif

I have no preference either. Through a process of widdling down phones, the neutral cans have lasted for me, but I don't specifically go after that. I definitely am not into analytical. Qualias, K701s and after FOTM the HD800s would probably not have a lasting value. I don't want to be amazed by technical merits, I want a headphone that brings the music through in a natural way.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #39 of 47
Usually I want a well-balanced and varied meal, nicely seasoned (neutral), but having a good burger (coloured) now and then is nice too.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is colored? What is neutral?

How do you define those?

And most importantly:

How do you accurately identify and assess a pair of phones as colored or neutral?

Easy. An exhaustive survey of head-fi thread results gives the following results:

Phones you like = neutral

All other phones = colored

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Neither, I prefer natural sounding headphones.

Hear, hear!
But if I have to choose between the two above it would probably be neutral..

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #43 of 47
I simply don't care if it's neutral or colored, as long as it sounds right and doesn't annoy me.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most mastering processes colour the music, so what's the benefit of neutral cans when you're at the mercy of the recording engineer?

because I WANT to be at the mercy of the recording engineer.

I agree that all recordings are colored. But a truly neutral headphone, because it doesn't add it's own flavor, it will reveal just (or at least mostly) the recording's colorations, which means that every recording, you get a different coloration, a different sound, which keeps things diverse. Also, recording colorations are often meant to go wtih the theme of the music, so it's better to hear that. I don't want to watch Die Hard while listening to the soundtrack to Bambi. (Rock on K701's?
tongue.gif
). If the phones are colored, then you just get the same darn color every single album, forever and ever and ever. and ever and ever. and ever.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutral. Because you get bored of individual colorations after awhile.

While neutral cans might seem boring at first, the ones you really end up bored with are the colored ones.

It might seem like a paradox, but not when you take a step back further and remember that it is all about the music. If your music is boring on any piece of gear, then you need better music.

This!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back