Do you people listen to it LOUD?
Dec 10, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #76 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thats why I dont go to live shows TOO LOUD always. Maybee you were the sound guy at allthe shows I attended. If you have good ears you can hear everything.

I've always heard that live shows were meant to be listened to with earplugs... it does make it sound better and protects your ears.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #77 of 86
If 80db is too loud for you folks, then you don't have any hearing damage! Guidlines are that 85db is a safe limit (for 8 hours....if you want to listen to music all day, then maybe under 80db!!). This link is pretty useful:

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #78 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its your choice - use up all your future hearing potential now or moderate the volume level and enjoy music for the rest of your life.

I know what occupation induced tinnitus is like.

My occupational tinnitus has been with me for over 25 years, however music is meant to be enjoyed and quiet music isn't enjoyable for me. It's not like I blast my ears off all day long, but there is a definite level below which music loses it's majesty and becomes uninteresting. At that point I'd rather read.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #80 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If 80db is too loud for you folks, then you don't have any hearing damage! Guidlines are that 85db is a safe limit (for 8 hours....if you want to listen to music all day, then maybe under 80db!!).

You either don't understand perception, hearing damage or both.
My hearing is in bad shape (tinnitus, HF hearing shot, and so forth) although I guess I shouldn't complain considering what others have to go through. When I was younger, I could take more db.

85db is only "safe" for 8 hours if you haven't been exposed to significant noise the rest of the day. I don't trust their numbers to begin with.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #81 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You either don't understand perception, hearing damage or both.
My hearing is in bad shape (tinnitus, HF hearing shot, and so forth) although I guess I shouldn't complain considering what others have to go through. When I was younger, I could take more db.

85db is only "safe" for 8 hours if you haven't been exposed to significant noise the rest of the day. I don't trust their numbers to begin with.

Thanks for the belittling comments
wink.gif
As the article does point out, and what I understand thank you, that these are levels starting off from a normally quiet day. I would trust the CDCs numbers over most statistics: they have scientific measurements....not a hunch! Interestingly that Headwise's numbers are completely different, and they actually give much longer durations of high db as safe (which I myself don't trust).

I guess we can all agree that one shouldn't crank the volume and leave it cranked
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #82 of 86
Either that or get iems. You can really listen at low volume levels in the streets. On my iriver T10, outside my home it's set at 6/40 and at home it's 4/40. Could protect you from hearing loss
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #83 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually listen pretty quietly. I find that my 'loud' is most people's 'normal'.

It's because I'm so pretty.

not true, i'm pretty sure we've met and it was anything but... i think i listen to loudly though... i must remove my beyers in order to talk decently with someone
basshead.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #84 of 86
This may be a bit OT, but....

This morning my Son and Son-in-law asked if I'd like to spend the day with them....a surprise!

Wa-Hoo!!

So off we went, to....

......the shooting range......for six hours of blasting my eardrums with some of the most horrible sudden over-pressure sonic attacks I'd ever imagined!! The structure was built of bare wood ceilings peaked over a bare cement floor which did a beautiful job of reflecting and amplifying the sound till even a small 22 caliber rifle sounded like being inside a huge metal drum!! The large bore rifles caused my pants legs to flap in the breeze and my eardrums to smack together in the middle of me noggin!!

Right now my unamped KSC75s sound exactly like my amped MS2i......Exactly!!

......but yeah; it was a fun outing.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #85 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful. If you haven't checked with an SPL meter you might be listening at above safe levels and not even know it. It really depends on how long and how loud. It won't make you deaf overnight but if tinnitus creaps in it'll be a bummer.

To repeat:

True, I ought to get one, but I don't really know where to, and unless they're very cheap, It'd probably take a huge chunk of my funds. I can say that my loud is a small fraction of what most others at my age call loud, so I use that to justify it >_>. Perhaps someone could let me borrow theirs?

The loudest I get is to drown out people on the bus. When I get into my music, it's usually quiet (in my room), so I think it's not close to how loud my earbuds get sometimes. Well once I get my haircut, I'll start using better isolating phones, rather than my crappy beater MX400 buds. Headbands mess up my hair for the day if I wear them in the morning. One more week until the haircut.

Funny, now that I think about it, I have an assembly in this last week before winter break. The cheers in it probably get up to about 110 dB from inside the crowd. The thing is, I either never know when the assembly is, or I never remember to bring my ER-20's. Cheering goes on for a good 15 minutes, too. Hopefully I'll remember this time, but if not, oh well...

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #86 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

......the shooting range......for six hours of blasting my eardrums with some of the most horrible sudden over-pressure sonic attacks I'd ever imagined!! The structure was built of bare wood ceilings peaked over a bare cement floor which did a beautiful job of reflecting and amplifying the sound till even a small 22 caliber rifle sounded like being inside a huge metal drum!! The large bore rifles caused my pants legs to flap in the breeze and my eardrums to smack together in the middle of me noggin!!

Right now my unamped KSC75s sound exactly like my amped MS2i......Exactly!!

......but yeah; it was a fun outing.

Didn't the range offer ear protection F107? Well if we go by the CDC (which apparently some people don't believe the CDC), gunshots can get to 165 db (12 guage)!!! Something tells me you were having too much fun to fire once and leave for over an hour to recover!!!
wink.gif
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back