Do you people listen to it LOUD?
Nov 25, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #61 of 86
My ears sort of like sibilant sounds as well as loud sound. Problem is I listen to music loud all the time. So normally I listen to headphones at 40% and under except for with my hd590s cause in order for songs to sound good they have to be at 50% for some reason

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like listening pretty loud. My ears aren't too sensitive to loud sounds. It really helps me get into my music.

Be careful. If you haven't checked with an SPL meter you might be listening at above safe levels and not even know it. It really depends on how long and how loud. It won't make you deaf overnight but if tinnitus creaps in it'll be a bummer.

To repeat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
This is why it's so important to use an SPL meter to measure how loud you listen, to make sure you aren't using headphones dangerously. It's so much more enjoyable to me when I listen to headphones since I have measured and know I am listening safely.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #63 of 86
Nah, I keep my phones at moderate levels. The way things are rigged, I have all the dynamics I need even when I'm listening quietly.

I think that's what people are usually looking for when they pump it out, right? Dynamics? I could be wrong about that.

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like listening pretty loud. My ears aren't too sensitive to loud sounds. It really helps me get into my music.

It can't be reiterated enough how bad that is. One day your ears might not be too sensitive to sound, period.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #65 of 86
Sorry can you speak up - he can't quite hear you.....

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #66 of 86
I have a SPLM and i did the cardboard cuttout test on my senn HD600
the following are the levels notei did note touch the volume from the previous listening sesion. OH and PANTERA COWBOYS FROM HELL was in the player
55 - 60 DB A weight SLOW
63- 68 C WEIGHT SLOW

I turned it up to 80 db ( WAY TOO FRIGGIN LOUD )

anyone else listen this low.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #67 of 86
Listening at such low levels robs music of all it's glory. Music is loud, instruments are loud, singing is loud. It's supposed to be loud. Accuracy is about a lot more than tone. You cannot realise the true dynamics of a piece when played quietly, you cannot get the full power of a piece or convey the emotion at such low levels. To my mind, music played quietly is not music at all, I can't recall ever hearing live music at the level of a quiet conversation. It's like taking a wild lion and scaling it down to a neutered and declawed housecat, all that made it great has gone. No power, no bite, no claws and no roar.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #68 of 86
Not all music is loud, you know. Some music is even meant to be played quietly.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
55 - 60 DB A weight SLOW
63- 68 C WEIGHT SLOW

I turned it up to 80 db ( WAY TOO FRIGGIN LOUD )

anyone else listen this low.

Yeah. Sometimes louder and sometimes even lower.
It depends on the background noise and on the noise I've been explosed to recently. Loudness is relative. And it of course depends on the subjective loudness I'm trying to achieve as wll.

An average of 80db with no background noise to speak of is way too loud for me as well.

EDIT: something else to think about... some people tend to listen louder to 'phones which aren't as muddy/bassy as the Senns to achieve the same subjective loudness

smeggy, did you try EQing to compensate when turning the volume down?

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #71 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smeggy, did you try EQing to compensate when turning the volume down?

My volume control only goes one way
wink.gif

Seriously though. I rarely listen at very low levels, it does nothing for me and I'd rather not listen at all than listen quietly. Moderate is as low as I normally go. Otherwise it's just background noise and I have enough of that all day as it is.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My volume control only goes one way
wink.gif

Seriously though. I rarely listen at very low levels, it does nothing for me and I'd rather not listen at all than listen quietly. Moderate is as low as I normally go. Otherwise it's just background noise and I have enough of that all day as it is.

Its your choice - use up all your future hearing potential now or moderate the volume level and enjoy music for the rest of your life.

I know what occupation induced tinnitus is like.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening at such low levels robs music of all it's glory. Music is loud, instruments are loud, singing is loud. It's supposed to be loud. Accuracy is about a lot more than tone. You cannot realise the true dynamics of a piece when played quietly, you cannot get the full power of a piece or convey the emotion at such low levels. To my mind, music played quietly is not music at all, I can't recall ever hearing live music at the level of a quiet conversation. It's like taking a wild lion and scaling it down to a neutered and declawed housecat, all that made it great has gone. No power, no bite, no claws and no roar.

Funny thats why I dont go to live shows TOO LOUD always. Maybee you were the sound guy at allthe shows I attended. If you have good ears you can hear everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back