do you pair your shure e500/se530 with an amp?
Jul 18, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

frescagod

100+ Head-Fier
if so, which do you recommend? i'm considering buying a portable amp for mine, but some people say the difference is negligible anyway, so is it even worth it?

thanks.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 16
I definitely think my HeadAmp AE-2 complements the E500's nicely and takes them to a level beyond what the stock output of the iPod can do. The AE-2 also has the flexibility to easily be used in a modest home setup which means I can get even more out of the E500's by starting the chain with a better source than an iPod.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 16
I have a bog standard c-moy amp, but the clarity over the stock ipod out is well worth it. The main three things I notice are more controlled bass, improved treble (solves the roll off as far as i'm concerned) and the soundstage is much improved.

Also bear in mind I was very sceptical as to what difference an amp would make, which is why I built my own (cheap option
tongue.gif
)

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 16
I agree, and you do not even need an amp as expensive as the AE-2, I have got a X1 and a T2 amps and both makes the e500 much better than straigth from my ipod, just getting rid of the pesky hissing is a blessing in it self..

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Just a tip, if you don't want to or are not able to use an amp with the iPod Rockbox does a very good job at reducing the hiss significantly.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Claus: iBasso T2 + E500 ... What's your source and with the T2 are you able to get a stronger bass?

Is there any way to bring the mids upfront more? I'm really enjoying the huge leap in detail (from Creative EP630 to the Shure E500), but it's a tad too laid back. Will a specific amp, or any amp, be able to change this?

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 16
My Xin Supermini works just fine with them. I don't recommend them without an amp. A Shure E5 would work better straight out of an ipod.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lac29 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Claus: iBasso T2 + E500 ... What's your source and with the T2 are you able to get a stronger bass?

Is there any way to bring the mids upfront more? I'm really enjoying the huge leap in detail (from Creative EP630 to the Shure E500), but it's a tad too laid back. Will a specific amp, or any amp, be able to change this?

I've used both a Go-Vibe5 and the AE-2 with the iPod and E500's. Both do a nice job of livening things up but I've been particularly impressed with the AE-2's ability to get my toes tapping. So to answer you're question I think an amp will help but certain amps will bring out different abilities or have better synergy. In addition source will make a difference as well, you'll get much more "life" out of the E500's with a better source than the typical portable/iPod.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Well the last couple of weeks I have been listning most to the q-JAYS and s-JAYS but They both gets more bass..
I'll give the e500 a spin later this evening, just for you....
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I beleive if you buy Samsung YP-T9 and use with E500 then it's possible. Because T9 shows rich details in mids(forward mids) and it's best match with Shure IEMs which emphesis on mids. So if you use with AMPs and it will definitaly clean the signals and gives more power to music(SuperMicro IV is best).

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the tip Zarim. I'm looking forward to your assessment on better bass with the T2 + E500 as well Claus (does the T2 provide better bass for the E500?). Any observations on if it brings the mids up front more instead of laid back would be helpful as well especially in determining if the relatively cheap T2 is worth buying.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Ok I have started listening to it at this very moment..

Listening to Afroman "because I got high" It got such a nice deep bassbeat..

Without the amp it is a little more lean in the bass and the mids are further in the back, the treble is not nearly as good, I really miss the highs from the amp, they are much more crisp from the amp..
The bass also feels more controlled from the amp..
also there is more silience in the music with the amp (no hiss)..

Now with the bass boost (from the t2) there is more bass, but it sound a little bit muffeld, it is like the difference between a subwoofer and a floorspeaker.

The mids and highs do not seem to suffer from the bass boost, but it is a bit too bassy for my taste..

Now listening to "do they know it's christmas" from band aid (the old version) I chose this song because it has a lot of different voices (and christmas is right around the corner)....

The voices are less prominent straigth from the Ipod (5,5)..
The bass is much more apparent with amp. Also the highs is still much better, the bells also sounds more real..
I can actually pick out the voices of Banarama in the choir, wich I am not able to without amp.

Blackeyed peas "pump it" this song has a good speed and is also very intense..

deeper and more bass from the amp it also feels faster and more dry, the voices are also more in your face..

I feel that the biggest improvement is in the highs and in the speed and firmness in the bass and to a lesser, but also significant, degree in the voices, but overall the E500 is much better with the amp...

If it is worth the money ?? I will have to say yes or rather yell it..Also because if you have spend the cash for the e500 you really get some value for the small amount of money, that the amp costs..

I'll recommend that you get it from ALO he's a sponsor, and it looks very nice with the laser engraving, also Ken is a very nice and fast guy..

BTW. I think that the X1 is a better match for the E500.. FWIW
But that is probally because I am more to the mids and the highs in the music, I just want the bass to be present/firm and deep, I am not a basshead..

Feel free to ask if you want me to elaborate on my inpressions..

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 16
I have the Xtra amp which is warm and a good match for the Shure E500, but I prefer the sound straight out of my Iriver DAP.

I always use the most simple connection to get the job done.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 16
Claus: Wow that was quick ... thanks a lot for the assessment! At just over $100 the iBasso T2 sounds like a good deal for what I'm getting which is portability and improvement in mainly bass I guess. One more question I had though. I'd like the T2 to be able to improve some of my other 'phones and perhaps future pairs of headphones/IEMs/canal phones. I currently have some cheap Fontopias, Creative EP630, and Koss KSC75. If you have any of them can you let me know if you see any improvements specifically with these 'phones? And if not, do you see sound improvements with any 'phones you own yourself? Note, I plan on eventually moving into Etys, UE, and Westone IEMs so if the T2 can help them out, that'd be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back